Shadow Warrior is a DOS first person shooter, released in 1997 - developed by 3D Realms and published by GT Interactive Software. Shadow Warrior is a classic that, like Blood, pushes the Build engine to the limit with features such as voxel sprites and room over room - providing the same sort of humor and entertainment as Duke Nukem 3D. This is considered one of the three best Build games - alongside Duke Nukem 3D and Blood. Read more about the game on Wikipedia.
How do I get the game?
The original game - Shadow Warrior Classic - is free on Steam and includes the complete base game. The game can be purchased on GOG, however the GOG version also includes the two expansions Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon.
How does the XL Engine Improve the Game Experience?
- Support for higher resolutions then the DOS version.
- Gracefully handles widescreen, pillarboxing the view to maintain aspect ratio if you decide to play the game in the original aspect ratio.
- Improved mouse look.
- Responsive, low latency controls coupled with the high performance of a native OS application.
- Easy to use color correction - modify the contrast, brightness, color saturation and gamma so that the game looks more like you remember.
- Improved high performance software renderer - great performance even using massive resolutions.
- GPU rendering giving improved performance and visuals.
- "Sharp Bilinear" - Normal bilinear is too blurry but the software renderer too sharp, this gives you nice sharp but antialiased texture filtering.
- Anisotropic filtering - Textures will looks sharp but antialiased up close and in the distance.
- Optional graphical enhancements including bloom, shadows, reflections, dynamic lighting and more.
- Optional gameplay enhancements such as higher difficulty settings.
- Modding tools and support - including powerful scripting thanks to XLC.
- Modern Client/Server multiplayer support.
XL Engine Screenshots
[Time to put some screenshots up]