Character clothes & armour fixes

MrFlibble

Character clothes & armour fixes

Postby MrFlibble » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 am

The latest version of the fix can be downloaded here and here.

Some time ago I got concerned that quite a few things are noticeably wrong with how clothes and armour are displayed for different character races and genders in vanilla Daggerfall. For example, some armour items of female Argonians and humans have wrong colours, and the shape of the left hand for both female and male humans is inconsistent across different clothes sets; cloaks have transparent areas where there should be none etc.

As I poked around the graphics for character clothes sets in the game with ANDYPIC and GrafX2, I discovered even more issues, and attempted to fix them. The resulting set of modified clothes, armour and weapon textures for both genders and all races is uploaded here.

To install, unzip the contents into the ARENA2 folder of your Daggerfall installation.

Hopefully this is useful!

Here are some examples of the various fixes (unmodified images on the left, fixed ones on the right):
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by MrFlibble on Thu May 22, 2014 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adda

Re: Character clothes & armour fixes

Postby Adda » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 am

Excellent work!

I have used Andyfall clothes/armor and body images for a long time, as it fixes some of these problems too.
But I don't like all the changes that have been made, so this is just great!
ThinkPad R60 - UXGA IPS - Core 2 Duo T7200 - Radeon X1300 64MB - 2x2GB - 7200.4 320GB - M2Tech hiFace Two - Atoll DAC 100 - Aragon 18k - AKG K240DF
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 pm

"Excellent work!" was exactly what I was thinking while scrolling through the very helpful illustrations! Adda beat me to it though.

A while back I had been working on fixes for the weapons, many of which have these gaps and overlaps against the hands. I don't have access to the hard drive that work is on, but you seem to have a talent and a fresh workspace; maybe you could do the honors!
The one oddity I encountered was with the line where the edge of the hand or thumb would obscure the held weapon. Where it appears on gloves and gauntlets is one pixel off from where it appears on the bare hand.
Ideally, one would just adjust the gauntlet hands to line up, but that has spill over effects for all the cloaks and pants and... well, you get the picture.
It would take someone very ambitious to go through all that work. But check it out for yourself!

And does anyone else think the ohmes-raht Khajiit tail looks a little... lizardy? I've never seen a cat's tail with a wedge profile.
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:54 am

The wedge is probably an optical illusion caused by color loss from palettization.
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 am

I mean the tail is a lot thicker at the base and ends in a point. Looking at the Argonian and Khajiit side by side, it's the same tail just colored differently. Cat tails are basically the same thickness from base to tip.
MrFlibble

Postby MrFlibble » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:22 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! ^_^

Brendan_ wrote:A while back I had been working on fixes for the weapons, many of which have these gaps and overlaps against the hands. I don't have access to the hard drive that work is on, but you seem to have a talent and a fresh workspace; maybe you could do the honors!
The one oddity I encountered was with the line where the edge of the hand or thumb would obscure the held weapon. Where it appears on gloves and gauntlets is one pixel off from where it appears on the bare hand.
Ideally, one would just adjust the gauntlet hands to line up, but that has spill over effects for all the cloaks and pants and... well, you get the picture.
It would take someone very ambitious to go through all that work. But check it out for yourself!

Which weapons exactly does this happen to, and when held in which hand? One obvious thing is the offset of the mace that is held in the left hand in the female weapons set:
ImageImage

Also the staff does have a noticeable empty space below the fist when used without the gauntlets. This happens to both genders, but is more noticeable with Argonian and Khajit characters who have smaller fists.

Generally, all weapons seem to have been primarily designed to work with gauntlets, and not bare hands. Bows also have empty spaces, both in the grip and the string, intended to fit with the gauntlets. I kind of fixed that in the current files, but the side effect is that the extended grip and string graphics will overlap with the gauntlet.

I assume that the discrepancies between the shape of the left fist for human characters (both genders) that are found with different clothes items, also come from the fact that the developers did not pay much attention to that as it gets concealed by the gauntlets (except for the Plain robes and Priest robes items that cover the gauntlets). Since most character classes can use at least one type of armour, it seems logical that the clothes, weapons and armour were designed to work first and foremost with armoured characters in mind.
Ferital
Poster

Postby Ferital » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:35 am

As already said, excellent work! You should put it here so it's never lost: http://uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files#U ... _and_Fixes
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:48 am

I think this could become a must-have patch for Daggerfall.
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 am

Brendan_ wrote:I mean the tail is a lot thicker at the base and ends in a point. Looking at the Argonian and Khajiit side by side, it's the same tail just colored differently. Cat tails are basically the same thickness from base to tip.

I had a cat who had a pointy tail tip.

Still, deleting the bright pixel at the tip would make it look rounder and better.
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 am

The staff had issues, as did some swords.
But the bigger issue is the gauntlet image being larger than the hand image. It makes sense intuitively, but visually it forces a gap when weapons are wielded by characters without gauntlets.
Yes, people tend to pick up some hand armor early in the game (though it's possible to be Forbidden every armor type). It's just a quality compromise.

3D models wouldn't have these issues, but until more miracles are worked by Lucius, there's nothing else to do.

Gez wrote:I had a cat who had a pointy tail tip.

Still, deleting the bright pixel at the tip would make it look rounder and better.

My concern is the diameter of the tail at the base (closest to the body) compared to the diameter toward the end (furthest from the body).
Pictures may better explain what I mean.

thumbnail

The lizard's has a much larger diameter at its base than at its end. The cat's tail has basically the same diameter at base and end.
Given they have the same size hips, the Khajiit's tail should have a smaller diameter at its base.

Return to “Mods / Addons”