System Shock 1 Source Code On the Way

Off topic discussions that don't fit in any other categories.
epicurius7
Junior-Member

System Shock 1 Source Code On the Way

Postby epicurius7 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:55 pm

News off the back of the SS1 remake alpha footage:
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8402.0

They found the source code! Add that to the XL game support list :lol:
MrFlibble

Re: System Shock 1 Source Code On the Way

Postby MrFlibble » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:12 am

Would sure be nice if they release the source code.

However, I've heard some pretty negative opinions on Night Dive recently - incidentally, in a thread about XL Engine (from this post onwards).
epicurius7
Junior-Member

Re: System Shock 1 Source Code On the Way

Postby epicurius7 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:29 am

Oh I don't doubt that they intend to use anything the community generates to produce and promote their products, then get all forgetful with the credits. Publishers are generally not known for being upstanding and honest members of the gaming industry. By all means buy the products if you think they are worth your time, but don't do their development work for them.

I think they'll largely ignore the SS2 community and sell the SS1 remake and SS3 on the back of curious Bioshock fans. The alpha footage is certainly looking Bioshocky. Though I am stoked that they appear to be following the original level designs. I hope they aren't talked out of it actually, I love the ol' boxy corridor crawling.

Being able to look through and tinker with the source would be great, regardless. Here's hoping they deliver. If I get to revisit the Shock universe in products that aren't complete disasters, that's a bonus. They can't take the original game from me.

Return to “Off Topic”