Sublevel Zero, a 6DoF FPS with random levels

Off topic discussions that don't fit in any other categories.
MrFlibble

Sublevel Zero, a 6DoF FPS with random levels

Postby MrFlibble » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 am

Recently I learned about a game called Sublevel Zero, which is presented as something in the style of the original Descent and Descent II. The game is available from Steam and GOG.com.

I checked if a playable demo was available, and found out that Sublevel Zero was originally created for Ludum Dare as a Descent clone with procedurally generated random levels. The Ludum Dare entry page with download links is located here. After the initial release, the game received several updates, including Oculus Rift support.

The Sublevel Zero prototype features infinite procedurally generated levels, random bonuses that boost various stats of the player's ship and weapons, 7 enemy ships and 5 weapons. The core gameplay tries to closely follow the original Descent. Eventually the developers decided to turn the game into a commercial project, with the end result being quite different from the prototype. Here's a couple of videos for comparison:
Ludum Dare version
Commercial version

The levels in the free/prototype version actually reminded me of Daggerfall dungeons. In fact, I wonder if XLEngine would eventually allow for a spin-off version of Daggerfall featuring procedurally generated random dungeons and roguelike playing mechanics.

Return to “Off Topic”