Command Console

Engine feature requests, game specific requests occur in the sub-forums.
Z-Blaster

Command Console

Postby Z-Blaster » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't know if this was already implemented, requested or talked about, but every modder likes access to a console for testing their work(, and cheaters like to use it for messing around :twisted: ). I think every game past Daggerfall (in main series) had a console, and all the games after Dark Forces had one aswell. If you are tempted to cheat, or if for you it takes immersion away from the game, then you could just disable the console in the settings. Lucius has probably got this in the engine already, but I'm just making sure ;).
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Re: Command Console

Postby luciusDXL » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:32 pm

The console from DarkXL was one of the first things I brought over to the XL Engine for debugging purposes.

(A screenshot from much earlier in development - I posted this a long time ago to show the console itself)
thumbnail
Z-Blaster

Postby Z-Blaster » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 am

Thank you, I kind of thought there was a console in XL Engine, later I thought it would be difficult to work without one, and it would have been something that was needed from the start.
Blue Footed Booby

Postby Blue Footed Booby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 am

Thank god. I can't begin to count the number of times I've used the console to bypass bugs in the Elder Scrolls games, especially once I started modding everything, and to move NPCs that parked themselves in doorways in Morrowind.
BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Using a console to type "TGM" is much easier than quickly typing "IDDQD", believe me.

A game with a flexible, expansive vocabulary of console commands is a game whose developers took testing very seriously. Furthermore, by simple scripting, one could create aliases, triggers, and simple, powerful binds. Case in point, Quake 1.

Imagine. Simply hitting alt-p, and your character switches to his bow, chooses the best arrows available, equips his archery fortification enchantments, and quaffs a fortify health pot?

Or perhaps cast a string of spells?

Kind of makes you quiver a bit, in the pants, no?
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:02 pm

like 0 immersion...

Return to “Engine Feature Requests”