Hard-core mode

Engine feature requests, game specific requests occur in the sub-forums.
Klasodeth
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Hard-core mode

Postby Klasodeth » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:32 pm

The points made by Brendan_ and jet800 are exactly what I wanted to say. :)
I'm frequently online in the #xlengine.projects channel at irc.freenode.net as Klasodeth, Klaso, or KLA.
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 pm

I personally found on screen texts to be unnatural and disruptive, but they are far cheaper to implement than dynamic placement of scene decorations and audio sources.

But we agree it's a good idea to provide notice to players of what sort of creature is in a location in advance of them moving close enough to be detected by them.
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 am

greenlight wrote:I like that. I kinda miss the pen&paper-RPG-like text messages.

There were some in Arena's main quest dungeons. Like these three everybody should be familiar to, since they're often repeated in the starting dungeon:
"The skittering of many tiny-clawed feet can be heard on the wet brownstones." "Red eyes seem to glitter at you from the darkness..." "It seems safe to rest in these niches. You think the rats and other creatures may not smell you with the draft that runs so close to the floor..."
(Basically: there are rats out there. Also, any elevated surface is a safe bed.)
yoyolll

Postby yoyolll » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:07 am

Gez wrote:
greenlight wrote:I like that. I kinda miss the pen&paper-RPG-like text messages.

There were some in Arena's main quest dungeons. Like these three everybody should be familiar to, since they're often repeated in the starting dungeon:
"The skittering of many tiny-clawed feet can be heard on the wet brownstones." "Red eyes seem to glitter at you from the darkness..." "It seems safe to rest in these niches. You think the rats and other creatures may not smell you with the draft that runs so close to the floor..."
(Basically: there are rats out there. Also, any elevated surface is a safe bed.)

I thought these types of messages gave really good atmosphere to arena. And every time you entered or exited a building too. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them in daggerfall. The unnatural cold beyond this door thing sounds like a great idea.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8mb @ 220 Mhz
15 gb HDD
Blue Footed Booby

Postby Blue Footed Booby » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

yoyolll wrote:There were some in Arena's main quest dungeons. Like these three everybody should be familiar to, since they're often repeated in the starting dungeon:

I thought these types of messages gave really good atmosphere to arena. And every time you entered or exited a building too. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them in daggerfall. The unnatural cold beyond this door thing sounds like a great idea.[/quote]

They're good for atmosphere...the first time. Every time after it literally might as well just say "zombies" or "assgoblins" in big letters. Unless the fluff text is actually unique to individual dungeons it's far, far better to litter the dungeon with actual signs of the occupants, like gear/loot on tables for bandits, huge webs for spiders, or the classic random statues that signal a basilisk or gorgon.

This also allows you to mix monsters in ways that would otherwise produce stupid or contradictory messages. Imagine a generic fantasy dungeon with liches and a dragon: "The dungeon feels hot, as if heated by a huge furnace. You feel an unnatural cold that chills you to the bone." Every time you add a monster type you have to consider each possible message in light of every other possible message. You're asking for unforeseen edge cases.

Compare this to seeing scorch marks and creepy altars or whatever. I don't think it would be hard to randomly strew non-colliding sprite "clutter" about near spawn points based on what's going to spawn there. You'd even see the signs when they're actually relevant so you could make choices, like whether it's worth trying to sneak around the liche vs the entire dungeon being a no-go zone.

Edit: not all of my posts are well thought out :V
TumAdette
Senior-Member

21 de setembro de 2016

Postby TumAdette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 am

TumAdette
Senior-Member

Beyond Scared Straight

Postby TumAdette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Download: Address Unknown .
Torrent: Dead Stock .
Online: Fantastiskais ДЊetrinieks .
Modern Family S09E12 - Dear Beloved Family torrent.

Coherence (2013) English 300MB Download
Watch Movie
Mr. Robot
The Following
Qin's Moon

Elexis Monroe - A Hard Pill To Swallow, XXX, MPEG4(Xvid), C2x, HD 1080p, 0,5 FPS [Mommy Got Boobs - Brazzers] (August 12, 2016).avi [Isohunt.to]

Return to “Engine Feature Requests”