True custom resolutions and multiple monitors

Engine feature requests, game specific requests occur in the sub-forums.
Jotokun
Lurker

True custom resolutions and multiple monitors

Postby Jotokun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 pm

I've been lurking here for a while watching XLEngine progress, but I haven't actually tried it out until recently. I haven't been able to get it to run yet, but I noticed that in the graphical settings you can only choose resolutions specified as valid by your graphics card.

I was wondering if there are any plans to enable true custom resolutions for windowed mode, where the user can put in any width and height they want? I run a somewhat unusual multi-monitor setup that is incompatible with eyefinity or surround, so my desktop is seen as three separate monitors instead of one big one. I've been able to run other games across all of them by running at a custom resolution in windowed, or with a tool like SoftTH. However, the former wont work because you cant specify custom resolutions, and the latter wont work because XL is not strictly DirectX 9.

I'd also like to request that the UI and held weapon can be restricted to a certain portion of the screen. Basically, the ability to set the upper left of where the UI can start, and then specify a width and height. This would be good for all multi-monitor users because then the UI could be restricted to the middle monitor. More importantly, the player's weapon wouldn't be on the right-most screen.

I've never done any (serious) game development before, but having dabbled in code in the past these dont sound like difficult things to add. If there's no plans to put them in then I'd probably try doing it myself once the source were out, but I figured I'd ask just in case.
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Re: True custom resolutions and multiple monitors

Postby luciusDXL » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 pm

These sound like reasonable requests though they will have to wait until after the upcoming Beta.

Return to “Engine Feature Requests”