FXAA

Engine feature requests, game specific requests occur in the sub-forums.
ragholio

FXAA

Postby ragholio » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Not really a request but rather a solution that is available right now.

Thanks to a chap that goes by the name of "Some Dude", I am currently enjoying DaggerXL with FXAA (Fast Approximated Anti Aliasing).

Download Beta8: http://hotfile.com/dl/125887302/d5a49f2 ... _8.7z.html

And drop the contents of the D3D9 folder into the base XLEngine folder (whatever it may be on your system).

And Voilà! No more jaggies! :D
My original music | http://www.reverbnation.com/ramon |
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Re: FXAA

Postby luciusDXL » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:36 pm

That probably won't work after the Engine Merger release I'm afraid. However I will be implementing AA support for the engine.
ragholio

Postby ragholio » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:07 am

Thats good to hear.

Have you given any thought as to what specific type of AA you will implement? Multisampling would be obvious but I think that the current generation of Timothy Lottes http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/03/nvidia-fxaa.html FXAA looks pretty stunning when compared to 4x Multisampling. It even seems to anti-alias elements such as transparency and specular edges that multisampling sometimes misses (or requires transparency mutli/super sampling to be forced in conjunction). And FXAA doesn't have anywhere near the rendering overhead. But I'm sure you know all off this :)

Of course I'd love to be able to force 2x2 supersampling if possible (in an ideal world) :D
My original music | http://www.reverbnation.com/ramon |
Akghar
Junior-Member

Postby Akghar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:38 am

@ragholio

In an ideal world, I'd love to understand what you just said ;)
luciusDXL

Postby luciusDXL » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 am

SuperSampling and Multisampling will be supported. I can even do jittered grid supersampling combined with temporal AA. Geometric AA would probably work really well and look fantastic to boot (when it works well it looks really good for polygon edges).

Those are my preferred techniques, once they are handled I can implement the more image/depth based methods such as FXAA and friends.
smoke.tetsu
Junior-Member

Postby smoke.tetsu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:10 pm

I look forward to xlengine with antialiasing support as it's always nice even with sprite based games to at least antialias the edges of the levels. :)
gstanford
Poster

Postby gstanford » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm

luciusDXL wrote:SuperSampling and Multisampling will be supported. I can even do jittered grid supersampling combined with temporal AA. Geometric AA would probably work really well and look fantastic to boot (when it works well it looks really good for polygon edges).

Those are my preferred techniques, once they are handled I can implement the more image/depth based methods such as FXAA and friends.

So long as at least MSAA is supported and the engine does nothing to get in the way of driver forced/enhanced AA I'll be happy.
GrandAdmiralThrawn
Lurker

Postby GrandAdmiralThrawn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:05 am

I remember when there was no "XL Engine" and it was just "DarkXL", back then the engine already used mixed render targets, which it seemingly still does, breaking MSAA as a result. Back then I found and posted a way to get MSAA (+SS TAA) working on nVidia-based hardware.

Now I have played around with a more recent version of the engine, and the necessary tricks to get MSAA to work have changed. It seems that now, the proper nVidia AA compatibility bits for XL Engine are:

0x004030C0

You can set those for XL Engine games specifically by using nVidia Inspector, the now official nVidia game profile editor and spiritual successor of nHancer.

Of course, FXAA or SMAA injectors also work on XL Engine, but for those who'd like "real" AA, these flags can make it happen on nVidia. I do not know of any solution other than the FXAA/SMAA shader injectors for ATi/AMD cards though.

Return to “Engine Feature Requests”