Video Guide For XL Engine/Dark Forces Setup

TJ_YYC_Gaming
Lurker

Video Guide For XL Engine/Dark Forces Setup

Postby TJ_YYC_Gaming » Mon May 30, 2016 1:03 am

For those that want a visual guide to setup, I have included one on my channel. In addition, I am also playing through the game. :)
https://youtu.be/mNrWc6hxa8A
scarletguard
Lurker

Re: Video Guide For XL Engine/Dark Forces Setup

Postby scarletguard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:55 am

I came here because of that video. I'm having some troubles though.

I followed you instructions to the letter - using the Steam instructions you provided, However when I attempt to start the game, I got an error message saying I lacked the openal32.dll. I acquired the DLL through a link elsewhere on this site.

Place DLL in game folder. Then when I tried to clicked "Play", I got this error message.

Information which may or may not be helpful: I have a Windows 7 machine.

I have never played Dark Forces before, so going into minutia about the inner workings likely won't help me. So basically the definition of a n00b. I have no earthly idea what OpenAL is or what it does so you'll likely confuse me greatly if you bring it up without baby steps.

I just want to record the first level. Is this a hopeless case?
Manhs
Junior-Member

Postby Manhs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 pm

I don't want create a topic for this, but do you think there could be a possibility for XLengine to be completed at least for Dark Forces ? The project seem to have been near completed for DF1, right ?
Osprey
Poster

Postby Osprey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:05 am

scarletguard wrote:I came here because of that video. I'm having some troubles though.

I followed you instructions to the letter - using the Steam instructions you provided, However when I attempt to start the game, I got an error message saying I lacked the openal32.dll. I acquired the DLL through a link elsewhere on this site.

You need to install OpenAL. Simply adding the DLL file isn't enough. Download the following zip file from the OpenAL website, open it, extract the .exe file and then run the .exe file to install OpenAL:

https://openal.org/downloads/oalinst.zip

Oh, and delete the openal32.dll that you added to your game folder.
Manhs
Junior-Member

Postby Manhs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:00 am

Thank you ! ^^
SirGsusFreak
Lurker

Postby SirGsusFreak » Mon May 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Every time I try to play the game, an error comes up saying "Make sure to run the XLEngine_Launcher.exe at least once." It says this even if I try starting Dark Forces through the launcher.

Return to “General Discussion”