What If? (DAGGERFALL)

General XL Engine discussion.
Esterio

What If? (DAGGERFALL)

Postby Esterio » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 am

I was thinking if this project is as big as it seems, what if Bethesda contacts you? I think this project has full potential for becoming as a new edition, as in "revamped" and being able to play with new school technology. Sure it is nothing like The Elder Scrolls Online graphics wise, but I think it would be cool if this were to happen. I am not sure how the whole gaming world works like this but that's just one of my thoughts I have about the project. And maybe not with Daggerfall but maybe even Dark Forces... Keep up the good work! ;)
ESTERIO
"PLAYER OF MORROWIND"
Malentor

Re: What If? (DAGGERFALL)

Postby Malentor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 am

Best we can hope for, given Bethesda and Zenimax's history on this sort of thing, is that they leave the project alone, I believe. They're aware of the project's existence already, and since they haven't taken any action, one must assume they're fine with it for now.
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:31 am

lucius already contacted officials. Their state is that it'll be neiter blocked nor supported as of yet.
Esterio

Postby Esterio » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:37 am

Have they ever took any other legal actions besides against Mojang's "Scrolls" Title? :?:
ESTERIO
"PLAYER OF MORROWIND"
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:00 am

I don't know, but as they have the rights on Daggerfall, they surely could break down the project if they wanted to. I'm not saying that they have the right to do so, but given the size of them and their legal department they could.

But I have to agree that at the moment it's the best for us if they don't care about the project. If at some point DaggerXL (and the other games, too) become mostly complete, with a good amount of mods available, then a little support from them would be nice to get the games back at a wider audience. However I don't think this will happen, at least not any time soon.
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...
Malentor

Postby Malentor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:17 am

DungeonHack started out as a Daggerfall remake (Daggerfall Revisited, or ReDF), but changed its lore and story content because it was declared "unauthorized" by Bethesda. (source)

DungeonHack didn't take the approach Lucius has taken, though.
yoyolll

Postby yoyolll » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:39 am

I think if Bethesda contacts Lucius it will probably be for the worse. As far as I can tell, Valve is the only surviving company that recruits/incorporates independent modders and developers. All the others just open lawsuits.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8mb @ 220 Mhz
15 gb HDD
Malentor

Postby Malentor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm

yoyolll wrote:I think if Bethesda contacts Lucius it will probably be for the worse. As far as I can tell, Valve is the only surviving company that recruits/incorporates independent modders and developers. All the others just open lawsuits.

As Jet800 said, Lucius took the initiative and informed Bethesda of it, so they know it exists. But, as you say, if they contact Lucius again, there's probably a higher chance it will be with bad news for those of us who would like to see the project completed.

Something interesting that a lot of new people on these boards probably don't know, somewhat on this subject, is that this forum has been visited by a former Daggerfall developer (the god Julianos, Julian Lefay, sometimes credited as the father of The Elder Scrolls series, no less). So, while the company owning the rights would most likely never give any sort of official support, at least we know that the original creators, whether they still work for Bethesda or not, might be supportive in private. :) I was happy to see him pop in and say hi, in any case.
Esterio

Postby Esterio » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Malentor wrote:
yoyolll wrote:I think if Bethesda contacts Lucius it will probably be for the worse. As far as I can tell, Valve is the only surviving company that recruits/incorporates independent modders and developers. All the others just open lawsuits.

As Jet800 said, Lucius took the initiative and informed Bethesda of it, so they know it exists. But, as you say, if they contact Lucius again, there's probably a higher chance it will be with bad news for those of us who would like to see the project completed.

Something interesting that a lot of new people on these boards probably don't know, somewhat on this subject, is that this forum has been visited by a former Daggerfall developer (the god Julianos, Julian Lefay, sometimes credited as the father of The Elder Scrolls series, no less). So, while the company owning the rights would most likely never give any sort of official support, at least we know that the original creators, whether they still work for Bethesda or not, might be supportive in private. :) I was happy to see him pop in and say hi, in any case.

Wow, I had no idea that is pretty cool to know that! I just hope Bethesda wouldn't contact again since of that. I mean something like this, and i'm not saying it is just only this because there are a lot more things in the game that are changed, is like an overhaul mod, and it didn't seem like Bethesda was interested in getting into some legal stuff with that mod creator...
ESTERIO
"PLAYER OF MORROWIND"
Blue Footed Booby

Postby Blue Footed Booby » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Esterio wrote:...
Wow, I had no idea that is pretty cool to know that! I just hope Bethesda wouldn't contact again since of that. I mean something like this, and i'm not saying it is just only this because there are a lot more things in the game that are changed, is like an overhaul mod, and it didn't seem like Bethesda was interested in getting into some legal stuff with that mod creator...

Beth has explicitly said in numerous channels that they've completely lost all of the original source code. In other words, re-releasing the game would involve completely remaking it. The fact that the game is available for free on the website is, I think, a pretty clear sign that they don't see any potential for profit in it, at least none that are worth the work.

Is it possible Beth could change their minds? Sure, but I honestly think it's even less likely than them turning around and trying to buy rights to the source code.

Return to “General Discussion”