DaggerXL vs. Daggerfall Unity vs. OpenDF

General XL Engine discussion.
Arthur
Lurker

DaggerXL vs. Daggerfall Unity vs. OpenDF

Postby Arthur » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:47 am

I've been following DaggerXL for many years, but have recently started reading about Interkarma's amazing progress with Daggerfall Unity both on these forums and on the Daggerfall Workshop site (http://www.dfworkshop.net/). Please forgive me if this has been addressed before (and I'm sure it has), but could someone please explain to an idiot who has essentially no tech/programming knowledge whatsoever the exact similarities and differences between the scope and purpose of these two projects, as well as how the "OpenDF" project relates to either/both?

My understanding is Lucius hopes to create an entirely new engine for Daggerfall (DaggerXL), which will fix bugs in vanilla Daggerfall, and which can then potentially be "modded" to add and adjust content/graphics/gameplay features. However, it seems Interkarma is trying to achieve the exact same thing, albeit with the Unity engine rather than Lucius' new engine. No disrespect meant to Lucius - I understand he's had a busy few years in real life as well - but since Daggerfall Unity seems to be showing much more reliable and regular progress than DaggerXL, what exactly (again, in layman's terms, please) would an eventual DaggerXL release provide that wouldn't otherwise be possible/available through Daggerfall Unity?

Cheers!
Arctura
Poster

Re: DaggerXL vs. Daggerfall Unity vs. OpenDF

Postby Arctura » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:35 pm

I think the XLEngine is more of a replication and upgrade of the original engine by reverse engineering (which is why it's taking so long) so you can use the same game content while the Unity projects are recreations using the Unity engine with the original game graphics.
Taemos
Junior-Member

Postby Taemos » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:27 pm

DaggerXL will be closer (if not identical to) the original game in terms of mechanics whereas Daggerfall Unity is being somewhat "recreated" in a sense. Lucius has spent a lot of time reverse-engineering the game, which seems to be an extremely tedious and time-consuming activity. I think he's spent a lot of time on his tools and workflow, which has probably helped a ton but there is that initial investment of time. He also just seems like a super busy guy in general.

Daggerfall Unity is also a great looking project and has the benefit of being open to anyone willing to work on it, in addition to (as Arthur stated) having more frequent updates. I don't think it will be like exactly like vanilla Daggerfall, but I doubt many people will notice or care. Well, they will definitely notice the new graphics...

OpenDF doesn't look like it's been updated in over a year. Seems more like it may have been more a proof of concept than anything else.
BrotherBrick

Postby BrotherBrick » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:42 am

OpenDF is being developed by the author/lead-dev of OpenAL-Soft: KCat aka Chris. I asked him about it recently and he would like to spend more time on it, but he has free time full with OpenAL-Soft at the moment. Considering that this is an important piece of FOSS code, I think we can all cut him a bit of slack. ;)

That being said, the source is here: https://github.com/kcat/opendf
So it is open and available to anyone who wants to work on it. Anyone? Hello? ;)
Arthur
Lurker

Postby Arthur » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:35 am

Thanks, all - so that confirms my basic understanding: DaggerXL is taking a different programming approach than Daggerfall Unity (reverse-engineering the game code to create a new engine vs. "mapping" the game data to the Unity engine), but from the perspective of the average player and/or future modder, the gameplay and potential (though not the actual method) for modding should be essentially the same. And I guess OpenDF is just another project equivalent to these two in purpose, like OpenMW (which I think Chris has worked on as well)?
Taemos
Junior-Member

Postby Taemos » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:04 am

BrotherBrick wrote:OpenDF is being developed by the author/lead-dev of OpenAL-Soft: KCat aka Chris. I asked him about it recently and he would like to spend more time on it, but he has free time full with OpenAL-Soft at the moment. Considering that this is an important piece of FOSS code, I think we can all cut him a bit of slack. ;)

That being said, the source is here: https://github.com/kcat/opendf
So it is open and available to anyone who wants to work on it. Anyone? Hello? ;)

Ah, I see. I meant no offense; I just looked at the github page, saw that it hadn't been updated in awhile and made an assumption. Good to know he still has interest in it. As you stated, OpenAL is pretty important too. :)
BrotherBrick

Postby BrotherBrick » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:00 am

No worries, not calling you out, just thought people would like to hear what is _not_ currently happening. ;)

I love Interkarma's work, but I sadly can't really behind it from a FOSS perspective. That doesn't mean I won't play around and cheer-lead his work. :D

Lucius said he was open up DaggerXL in the future, but I'm hedging my bets anyway.
rafeer
Lurker

Postby rafeer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:29 am

There are thousands of fresh games that has supernatural graphical representation which is no doubt a good one for all game lovers, today xbox is going crazy day by day. As a writer i would show my interest for assignment help that would definitely help you to go through our dedicated services and i am pleased to share my own experience when i was unable to write anything and i made my self writing enthusiast that whenever i look back it seems a dream.

Return to “General Discussion”