So, let's try to gather most frequently asked questions and answers to them in one place.Q:
When will DaggerXL be finished? When will the next build be released?A:
When it's done.Q:
How do I install and run DaggerXL
Here is step-by-step guide:Part one, getting everything needed.
Part two, installing and patching Daggerfall.
- Get a copy of original Daggerfall from this location.
- Unzip file. You'll get 2 folders named "DAGGER" and "DFCD".
- Get DosBox from here and install it.
- Get an actual version of XLEngine from here
- Create a folder on your hard drive where you want to install Daggerfall (like "C:\Games\Daggerfall").
- From folder DAGGER (from step 2 of part one) copy file DAG213.EXE to that folder. We'll need it later.
- Launch DosBox
mount c c:\games\daggerfall -freesize 1000
replacing "c:\games\daggerfall" with your own path.
mount d c:\dfInstall\dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
replacing "c:\dfInstall\dfcd" with path to your DFCD folder (from step 2 of part one).
- follow instructions on screen and install to "C:" with "HUGE" install option
- after install execute
This will patch Daggerfall to latest version
- Exit dosbox
Part three, installing XLEngine.
- Unzip XLEngine archive where you want it to be.
- Launch XLengine_Launcher.exe and point "Game Data Path" to ARENA2 folder of your install, assuming you're using "C:\Games\Daggerfall" it'll look like
- Set up other settings, like resolution and you done!
- Now you can run DaggerXL by clicking "Play" button
How do I install and run vanilla Daggerfall?A:
You can do this via DosBox. Here
is step-by-step guide. (old forum link)Q:
What is DaggerXL?A:
It's a project aiming for recreation of original Daggerfall on new engine, optimized for new hard- and software, saving all of features of original.Q:
Will DaggerXL change any aspects of gameplay from the original game?A:
No, though it'll be possible via various modding options.Q:
Will there be a construction set released for DaggerXL to aid in modding?A:
What platforms will DaggerXL run on?A:
At now only windows is announced.Q:
Will there be multiplayer?A:
No, at least at release of DaggerxL. Maybe it'll be added later.Q:
How do I add my custom textures to DaggerXL?A:
Read instructions here
. (old forum link)Q:
Can/Will 3D models be added to replace all of the original sprites in Daggerfall?A:
TBD, probably yes.Q:
What are the system requirements for DaggerXL?A:
The only "hard" requirement is a GPU capable of shader model 2 or betterQ:
Where is the source code?A:
Sources will be released with beta release of DaggerXL. At now there is no option to obtain sources.Q:
Is there anything I can do to help?A:
Sure! Read forums a bit and you'll see. For example you could help draw hi-res textures
or write some music
Can I run Battlespire, Redguard, or any other Xngine game?A:
No. It may be possible done later through modding.Q:
I found a glitch/bug, my game doesn't work, what should i do?A:
Consider reading this forum
Could my install path contain spaces?A:
It' shouldn't, but if you really need to install DaggerXL, so your path will contain spaces, then you need to adjust path in DXL_Settings.txt so your space-containing folder names obey 8.3 filename convention.Q:
Will be that some unfinished/disabled/stripped off feature of vanilla Daggerfall implemented in DaggerXL?A:
Yes. There is already one and another topics discussing such features also.Q:
How this project is related to sources of Daggerfall?A:
- There is no publically available source code of Daggefall. Even more it's probably lost forever.
- Lucius has disassembled Daggerfall, but he'll never release nor directly it into XL Engine.
- Lucius has rewritten that assembly code into C code. This one won't be released or directly included into XL Engine.
- Based on that C code lucius will adapt & modify XL Engine codebase to precise emulate vanilla Daggerfall.
- One day XL Engine sources will be released, including those of Daggerfall logic code aswell.
- Resulting code could be(actually it WOULD be) entirely different from decompiled one, but it'll emulate vanilla Daggerfall behavior.
P.S.: Many thanks to all, who contributed to this FAQ