Please stop announcing and then delaying

XL Engine News
Manhs
Junior-Member

Re: Please stop announcing and then delaying

Postby Manhs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:17 am

Well, better to get the copyrights first, it makes me sick to see how awesome projects, port or remake, can be killed because "copyrights" when you see how those games was forgotten by their owners.....it's sad :(
Haggard
Junior-Member

Postby Haggard » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:27 am

On the plus side BloodCM is 99% complete and it plays almost exactly like Blood (unlike Zblood and the many forks in that project). I'm sure BloodEX will have better mod support.
Manhs
Junior-Member

Postby Manhs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Absolutly not, BLOODcm has very different physics, exemple, you can't dynamite jump or rocket jump (it will kill you), you can't slide on the head of the zombies when there is a wave of them because you will be stuck on a head (like a platform), so you can't do some tricks, the explosives weapons are overpowered, the effects are not the same (well, not the same engine) and the animations are too fast in BLOODcm, i mean, the cultists or zombies explodes without any animations like in the original BLOOD, i don't understand why people say "BLOODcm is like original BLOOD", there is so much differents physics between the 2 games.... and i want to play expansions and user maps, not always the same game, is it possible with BLOODcm?
BLOODcm is still a good thing but i won't say It replaces the original BLOOD. :/

It's why i would prefer a BLOOD Ex or XLBLOOD, Kaiser seem to not want take risk with Atari and i can understand so XLBLOOD could be our last hope....
Haggard
Junior-Member

Postby Haggard » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:25 pm

Manhs wrote:Absolutly not, BLOODcm has very different physics, exemple, you can't dynamite jump or rocket jump (it will kill you), you can't slide on the head of the zombies when there is a wave of them because you will be stuck on a head (like a platform), so you can't do some tricks, the explosives weapons are overpowered, the effects are not the same (well, not the same engine) and the animations are too fast in BLOODcm, i mean, the cultists or zombies explodes without any animations like in the original BLOOD, i don't understand why people say "BLOODcm is like original BLOOD", there is so much differents physics between the 2 games.... and i want to play expansions and user maps, not always the same game, is it possible with BLOODcm?
BLOODcm is still a good thing but i won't say It replaces the original BLOOD. :/

It's why i would prefer a BLOOD Ex or XLBLOOD, Kaiser seem to not want take risk with Atari and i can understand so XLBLOOD could be our last hope....

I don't think you've played the recent version of BloodCM. Blood is a game I play through yearly and I think BloodCM is 98-99% like the original game. Everything else, I think you're being just very anal retentive.

When Kaizer did Turok there were some changes from the original game. No one really freaked out about it. It's called having realistic expectations dude.

And Jace Hall has said repeatedly -in regards to bringing back Blood- that he wants to make it an Esports game. That would entail rebalancing some of the weapons for multiplayer. Are you going to freak out over that too?
Manhs
Junior-Member

Postby Manhs » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:19 am

Actually BLOODcm is different because it uses the duke engine, the only problem with blood is the balance for deathmatch (we use only the sawed-off and napalm launcher for a lot), so making a deathmatch version could be good.
A lot of fps of the 90's weren't really made for deathmatch with their actual balance because it was based on the single player (like for exhumed and hexen too), so even just a patch could be enough.

If you ask to the old players, i'm pretty sure they are not happy when they dynamite/rocket jump, they die directly', the damage is huge too compared to the original game, and like they say, they don't have the sourcecode, so it's why they are not able to remake the original code.

In some BLOOD maps, if you are surrounded by zombies, you can "slide" over them by jumping on them, it's very helpful to escape sometimes and it's not just a detail.

EDIT: Just tested the last version, the enemies still can fall directly when you shoot them with the pitchfork, they are not supposed to fall except of you shoot them with the alt of the sawed off, dynamite or be killed by the pitchfork. In BLOODcm, they fall and come back to you...

BLOODcm is a good thing again but i won't say it's so much like the original and it's sad when you explode a cultist with a dynamite, instead of this body who jump horizontaly, fall on the group and explode with a comical way, with BLOODcm, he will just explode directly without any real animations.

If Kaiser, XLengine or a remake add new things and balance for deathmatch or bug fix, it's all good, but if you modify the original stuff who are made for the game and who made the identity of the game, it's not a good thing.

BLOODcm is a good option for people who don't like dosbox anyway. (and for the Y axis, you can make the vertical aim better with the BLOOD setup of dosbox, it's not a problem).
And i have played it some month ago, i could retry it to check'

If they get the sourcecode in the future, i will be happy to test a new version of BLOODcm :!:
Last edited by Manhs on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haggard
Junior-Member

Postby Haggard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:51 am

You're acting pretty spergy dude. I'll stop because I know this is going to get off topic.
StrikerMan780

Postby StrikerMan780 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:26 am

He has a point. BloodCM is quite inaccurate, often in significant ways, and it makes a huge difference, especially for those who've been playing Blood for years.

Weapon behavior is inaccurate (damage, sprite & muzzle flash alignment, rate of fire, projectile movement, etc), enemy behavior is inaccurate in many ways (they way they move, and what they do based on specific criteria, etc), there are issues with the maps (the exit in the first map doesn't even spawn on some difficulties, and the carnival games don't always work the way they should, for example), also many effects are gone (such as procedural fire textures) and others don't work right, among many other things...

Lastly, the accuracy of the physics is extremely important, because there are tricks and secrets in the maps that depend on Blood's unique physics (especially Napalm and Dynamite jumping). Also, it's one of the main points that gives any game it's unique feel. If Doom had Shadow Warrior physics, it wouldn't feel like Doom anymore... same deal with Blood, it doesn't feel the same with Duke3D physics.
Got my hands on Terminal Velocity's source code. But since XL Engine is dead, I'll never be able to write a module for it. So, standalone port it is...
Deathlock176
Lurker

Postby Deathlock176 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:46 am

I can sympathize with this post. I've been following this project on and off for around 5 years now, and I'm in agreement that such lengthy delays are disappointing. However, it is fully understandable considering the scope of the project in question. I can only hope that Lucius will soon release test builds. Perhaps similarly to the creator of the Daggerfall Unity project, which has been progressing rather steadily recently.
Manhs
Junior-Member

Postby Manhs » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:20 am

I have read somewhere, there could be an update for november ? i dont remember where....

BLOOD XL could be a real port then (in a way), i have seen the screenshots, it looks really neat.
thumbnail
(Dat render and lines).

We are a lot of wait for BLOOD XL since there is still no port for this game but i would want it for Dark Forces too ^^

Will XLengine support usermap at his first version ? (i have asked it yet maybe but since a while)
AortalBurst
Poster

Postby AortalBurst » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:38 pm

Manhs wrote:I have read somewhere, there could be an update for november ? i dont remember where....

BLOOD XL could be a real port then (in a way), i have seen the screenshots, it looks really neat.
thumbnail
(Dat render and lines).

We are a lot of wait for BLOOD XL since there is still no port for this game but i would want it for Dark Forces too ^^

Will XLengine support usermap at his first version ? (i have asked it yet maybe but since a while)

I do believe that's the very first BloodXL screenshot (since Nov 10th). Anyway, last I heard usermaps are going to be supported, but there's not going to be anything to make that more user friendly, unless that got changed in the long, long development time.

Return to “News”