Short-term Roadmap

XL Engine News
Klasodeth
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Short-term Roadmap

Postby Klasodeth » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:34 am

BrotherBrick wrote:Sorry... dare I ask about a time frame for beta 1? How close do you think you are in terms of % of completeness for your goals set out for beta1? :D

That info can be found here.
I'm frequently online in the #xlengine.projects channel at irc.freenode.net as Klasodeth, Klaso, or KLA.
tnoyce

Postby tnoyce » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:41 pm

It is definitely encouraging to see progress being made again.
I know that coming to the decision to make the code available for anyone to touch and see must have been an agonizing one. Given the sheer amount of personal time you have invested in this project, it can't have been easy.

I hope that the progress to beta1 goes swiftly, and that the community coders can help accelerate the arrival time of each of the remaining milestones.
MrFlibble

Postby MrFlibble » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:19 am

luciusDXL wrote:Essentially they are rendered at the correct resolution (or a multiple) and then scaled up to a 4:3 viewport. For a widescreen view this means that the view is pillarboxed when rendering fullscreen.

Sounds great, thanks!

May I also ask, is there support planned for the demo versions (of Daggerfall and Dark Forces that is). Last time I checked, XL Engine only supported the full release of Daggerfall and did not work with the Betony demo.
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Postby luciusDXL » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:26 am

MrFlibble wrote:
luciusDXL wrote:Essentially they are rendered at the correct resolution (or a multiple) and then scaled up to a 4:3 viewport. For a widescreen view this means that the view is pillarboxed when rendering fullscreen.

Sounds great, thanks!

May I also ask, is there support planned for the demo versions (of Daggerfall and Dark Forces that is). Last time I checked, XL Engine only supported the full release of Daggerfall and did not work with the Betony demo.

Beta 1 will only cover the full releases - future Beta's may also cover the demos.
Lunick
Junior-Member

Postby Lunick » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:53 pm

luciusDXL wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:

Sounds great, thanks!

Beta 1 will only cover the full releases - future Beta's may also cover the demos.

By full releases, do you mean the final version of each game with their respective patches applied?
luciusDXL

Postby luciusDXL » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Lunick wrote:
luciusDXL wrote:By full releases, do you mean the final version of each game with their respective patches applied?

Yes.
Manhs
Junior-Member

Postby Manhs » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 pm

It seems to be a huge work to do !
So, BLOOD will get a "good quality/render" version too ? Awesome!
About multiplayer/level editor, i don't want ask too much, i have used the level editor on BLOOD, but will you add a multiplayer part like with port IP like in the "meltdown program" of Duke3Donline (it has Shadow Warrior, Duke 3D, Blood, and redneck rampage in multiplayer), just curious! ^^

But having later, a version of multiplayer for Dark Forces (and level editor then), could be really epic and awesome yet! :D
It could be fun to re-play this game again with some options and better render! :)
Last edited by Manhs on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luciusDXL

Postby luciusDXL » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:55 pm

I plan on eventually picking up the DarkXL sector editor and making it a general sector editor for all supported sector-based games. But that won't happen - at the minimum - until after Beta 5.

As for multiplayer, as mentioned in the short-term roadmap, that is planned for Beta 5. As for specifics as to how multiplayer will work, it is way to early to talk about that.
MrFlibble

Postby MrFlibble » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:16 am

Don't want to intrude with too many questions, but will the bug fixes for Daggerfall address the issue with the characters faces and/or long hair being partially covered by the Khajit suit and some other clothing?

There's also the issue with some items like artifacts or statues getting a palette remap that they shouldn't, resulting in wrong material colours (like with the Ebony Blade for example) or a garbled image, as the Small Statue and Holy Dagger items in this screenshot:
It is probably worth noting that the pre-release demo of Daggerfall (v0.1) does not have these issues, and items such as the Small Statue are displayed normally in the inventory. It seems that this bug was introduced later in the development of the game.

It is also my understanding that the regular (non-artifact) shields were also not intended to change appearance/colour according to the material, because they have parts made of non-remapable colours, as noticeable on the Tower Shield for example:
luciusDXL

Postby luciusDXL » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 am

Beta 1 will likely not be addressing inventory or faction bugs. If fixes are applied to the data than the same fixes should work when running under the XL Engine. If fixes tweaked the executable then they will have to wait for a future build.

The main issues that will be fixed for Beta 1 are bugs related to timing (when things mess up if the game runs too fast), crashing, memory overwrites (which do cause some reputation bugs, i.e. wrapping and becoming huge and negative), save file corruption and similar issues.

More minor issues, like improper palette swaps or the way things look in the inventory will most likely be dealt with in future builds.

Return to “News”