News update: Sep. 14, 2015 - The long hibernation

XL Engine News
nullzero
Poster

Re: News update: Sep. 14, 2015 - The long hibernation

Postby nullzero » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:40 am

Long time lurker here. Thanks for the long awaited news Klasodeath.
socks
Junior-Member

Postby socks » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:09 am

The IRC is always pumpin'. Come join us, friends. 8-)
CyberWilhelm
Lurker

Postby CyberWilhelm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Have been lurking since 2011, but finally made an account to post this comment. :)

It's great to hear that Lucius still has his head in the game, and am greatly looking forward hearing about his progress again once he has the time. I'm a big fan of what Interkarma is doing (my day job is working with Unity!), but even if there is overlap between the projects, I'd argue that Lucius' work is valuable to continue because it can live on without a closed-source dependency.
Dubba_D

Postby Dubba_D » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:25 pm

What's this?! DaggerXL isn't quite dead?..

Welp...don't know where I hid the sham pane. :) :?
owyn_merrilin
Lurker

Postby owyn_merrilin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:15 pm

JPL wrote:Thanks for the update, it's much appreciated!

I've actually been following this project all these years more for DarkXL than DaggerXL. I want a good open source port of the Dark Forces engine to build stuff with. Releasing the source for that, even if it's broken and/or half-finished, would still have great value. Once something is on eg Github hundreds of potential contributors can look at it and figure out how to move it forward. No code is too broken to open source - look at the various game source releases over the years, eg the 3DO port of Star Control 2. People are good at figuring it out, fixing it, making it modern and solid.

My disappointment with this project has not been the rate of progress or even the communication - I understand how life gets in the way of these labors of love - but the insistence on working in secrecy with closed source. In my experience that almost never turns out better for a project's quality or community.

So yeah my vote is for releasing any source ASAP. Lucius can be the only person with commit access, it'll still be his project, but others can fork and improve it.

Agreed on all of the above. But especially on being more interested in the Dark Forces port than in the Daggerfall port. As much as I love Daggerfall, there's nothing about that game that's so archaic that I feel the need to play an updated source port. I mean high resolutions, bug fixes, and more extensive modding support would be nice, but it's nothing on the order of adding mouselook to one of the first FPS games with the ability to look up and down. Daggerfall has mouselook out of the box, Dark Forces doesn't, unless you're lucky enough to have the Mac version and a functional system 7 era mac to play it on. And it is really awkward to play today as a result, even with the heavy auto aim, and even though the underlying game is great.

Basically, while Interkarma is doing great work with Daggerfall, and I appreciate it, Dark Forces fans are still out in the cold. If Lucius could release the source, I think there's enough people out there who care that we could have the game playable pretty quickly. Especially since a fully playable and completable beta was "right around the corner" what, five years ago?
Special K

Postby Special K » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:30 pm

Hey guys, I've discovered the mysterious "side project" that lucius is so busy with:

I've heard he has a leading role and everything! Apparently some talent scout from Hollywood stumbled across the forum and was amazed at just how slowly things were coming along: from what I hear, all it took was a few PMs and lucius was signed on, just like that!

Seriously though, it's good to hear from you Klasodeth! Thanks for the update!
C.H

Postby C.H » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 am

Special K wrote:Hey guys, I've discovered the mysterious "side project" that lucius is so busy with:

I've heard he has a leading role and everything! Apparently some talent scout from Hollywood stumbled across the forum and was amazed at just how slowly things were coming along: from what I hear, all it took was a few PMs and lucius was signed on, just like that!

Seriously though, it's good to hear from you Klasodeth! Thanks for the update!

Those are some top notch Photoshop skills. :twisted:

Anyways; great to see some news. IRL will be IRL as usual, looking forward to the next news update. In the meantime, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri became available on GOG & Steam, I recommend everyone to try it out while waiting:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/368600/
http://www.gog.com/game/terra_nova_strike_force_centauri :)
Too bad the once promised multiplayer expansion pack was never released (I hoped the new publisher would work some magic with the ex-TTLG staff).
Luzur
Junior-Member

Postby Luzur » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 am

...And its november 9.

...update? *only crickets*

Return to “News”