Community Status May 22, 2015 - DF Workshop / active modding

XL Engine News
Arctus
Site Staff
Site Staff

Community Status May 22, 2015 - DF Workshop / active modding

Postby Arctus » Fri May 22, 2015 6:18 pm

I was initially going to just let things play out however it was going to go with these forums and this community, but Lucius has not logging in for over a year and there's the looming threat that the forums could go down and never resurface. As a mod I keep tabs on these forums to make sure nothing goes awry, and it's nice to see that some people still post their contributions to Daggerfall and other projects, and I don't want it all to be lost. So to make a long story short I just want to bring Interkarma's Daggerfall Workshop and its forums to the attention of people that may not be aware of it.

This forum has fostered quite an array of contributions to Daggerfall through music, textures, UI mods, and a grab bag of other work. I don't want to see it lost and I don't want to see it dropped. I've see it happen and it's a bummer, work is lost and people disperse and are not heard from again. So I'd just like to recommend that if anyone is still lurking around here and interested in continuing work on DF, or just keeping tabs on the work being done with DF, to check out the DF Workshop. It's open source with Unity3D and there is already a modding community chugging along on various parts of the game.

I don't want this to come across and disrespectful that I'm basically tell people on this forum to hop ship, but I'm just being realistic here. I'm more concerned with maintaining work that has been done, going forward with new and interesting things, and keeping people together that want to continue to be part of this little Daggerfall community.
Interrupt wrote:Edit for Arctus:
Nothing is Daggerfallish enough for Arctus! :D
I think what it's missing is the pixels big and sharp enough to chop wood with.
Special K

Re: Community Status May 22, 2015 - DF Workshop / active mod

Postby Special K » Sun May 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Arctus. You're pretty much echoing the concerns of everyone here, myself included. Good to hear it straight from a moderator, though.
Z-Blaster

Postby Z-Blaster » Sun May 24, 2015 2:17 pm

It's unfortunate, but it is good to let people know about the situation.
C.H

Postby C.H » Sun May 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Much great work indeed and much time spent I'm sure. About my texture pack, I don't think the textures really fits the Daggerfall atmosphere very well but it will be interesting to see what becomes of them on the DFWorkshop forum.

Although 13 months is quite a while, I feel I can relate to having priorities and schedules change in life and fly in the face of whatever was planned and promised earler. Let's not forget that as with most, or every, hobby, it is driven by some kind of personal interest, fun factor etc. and hence the motivation for carrying on may change, contrary to with a job. I have over 20 "hobby projects" currently on hold due to studies and a rather hectic period in life, time is flying faster than ever and I don't even have a family to take care of -- Lucius does.

Of course, we the community are waiting, but if his motivation and/or ability to continue is really gone (not saying it is) then that's it, at least until his motivation changes again.

I am sure Lucius will prioritize logging onto this forum one fine day and say at least something.

Until then -- it was great spending time here and seeing the XL Engine develop. Who knows what could have been...

I was never gone from this forum but never saw a reason to log in as I really didn't have anything new or helpful to contribute, this still holds, so until things changes; Bye for now. :arrow:
stc105
Junior-Member

Postby stc105 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:30 pm

Yeah, the Daggerfall Workshop is the future (unless there is some type of surprise coming around the corner). However, it should be noted that unlike DaggerXL, the Daggerfall Workshop does not promise to bring Daggerfall into the 24 century. There is still a tone of work to be done. Basically, it is just a framework to build games using Daggerfall as a resources. Although, as you mentioned Arctus there are people working on it (including Interkarma to some extent).
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:37 am

stc105 wrote:unlike DaggerXL, the Daggerfall Workshop does not promise to bring Daggerfall into the 24 century

So, DaggerXL 1.0 is planned for year 2301? At the current rate, it's plausible. :p
yoyolll

Postby yoyolll » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:47 am

I'm confused. Are you saying that whoever is keeping the lights on here at xlengine is not going to be doing that much longer?

Also, someone should invite the DFWorkshop folks to the IRC channel!
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8mb @ 220 Mhz
15 gb HDD

Return to “News”