SHOWCASE: Daggerfall Tools for Unity by Interkarma!

XL Engine News
Klasodeth
Site Staff
Site Staff

SHOWCASE: Daggerfall Tools for Unity by Interkarma!

Postby Klasodeth » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:44 am

Most of the forum regulars probably already know about this project, but Interkarma's Daggerfall Tools for Unity is long overdue for a proper announcement. After an extended absence from the Daggerfall scene, Interkarma has returned to developing for Daggerfall, and his resulting Daggerfall Tools for Unity allow people to play with Daggerfall assets like never before, up to and including making a complete game out of them if desired.

In less than five months Interkarma has made an incredible amount of progress, and since Daggerfall Tools for Unity is built on the Unity game engine, the gates are wide open for people to make Daggerfall-related projects with his tools. His latest work has been focused on adding streaming terrain that enables projects of true Daggerfall scale, including Daggerfall itself, of course.

Be sure to check out the thread for Interkarma's Daggerfall Tools for Unity if you haven't yet. Also check out Interkarma's Daggerfall Workshop for more information about this outstanding project!
I'm frequently online in the #xlengine.projects channel at irc.freenode.net as Klasodeth, Klaso, or KLA.
Interkarma
Tool Master
Tool Master

Re: SHOWCASE: Daggerfall Tools for Unity by Interkarma!

Postby Interkarma » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:47 am

Thank you for the showcase, Klasodeth. :)

To kick things off in this thread, here's another streaming terrain video where I go for a quick run from Daggerfall city down to the coast.

This just uses Unity's standard terrain system, augmented by my own streaming terrain manager, Daggerfall API, and custom shaders (for terrain texturing and billboards).

Everything is created procedurally at runtime from native data, and it's already possible to replace trees with models and add other details using Unity's standard feature-set. I will eventually add more options around this as the toolkit expands.

Remastering Daggerfall.
- Daggerfall Workshop
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:15 am

It's only me or is this vid a bit fish-eyed?(most notable at end of the video when turning around) Although it's pretty awesome as usual Interkarma!
Freak2121
Voxelizer
Voxelizer

Postby Freak2121 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:04 pm

The coast of Daggerfall is more beautiful than I had imagined. Really close by to the city too.
yoyolll

Postby yoyolll » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Fantastic work interkarma, hope to see more soon.
Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz
128 MB ram
i740 8mb @ 220 Mhz
15 gb HDD
Klasodeth
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Klasodeth » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 pm

jet800 wrote:It's only me or is this vid a bit fish-eyed?(most notable at end of the video when turning around) Although it's pretty awesome as usual Interkarma!

I think that's just an illusion caused by the fact that the skybox needs to scroll at a different rate than the actual world geometry.
I'm frequently online in the #xlengine.projects channel at irc.freenode.net as Klasodeth, Klaso, or KLA.
Nystul
Junior-Member

Postby Nystul » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:08 pm

and thanks to unity it is a matter of seconds to change the fov of the camera in case the virtual camera is the culprit...
Interkarma
Tool Master
Tool Master

Postby Interkarma » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:37 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know a Developer Preview of the terrain system is now available from www.dfworkshop.net. I am also working on a standalone demo for everyone.

Klasodeth and Nystul have nailed it. Changing camera FOV and tweaking the skyplane scale go a long way to reducing any fish-eye effect. I'd love to replace the skies with a nice dynamic skybox system, but that's a lower priority at the moment.
Remastering Daggerfall.
- Daggerfall Workshop
Freak2121
Voxelizer
Voxelizer

Postby Freak2121 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 pm

I cannot express how much I love you and this tool.
Interkarma
Tool Master
Tool Master

Postby Interkarma » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:35 am

I've just posted a pre-release web demo of the streaming world features.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/?p=1589
Remastering Daggerfall.
- Daggerfall Workshop

Return to “News”