Delays

XL Engine News
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Delays

Postby luciusDXL » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Hello, I have been away from the boards for a long time. I have been meaning to post an update but I find it difficult to do so when I don't have good news. For a while now, I have been swamped with too many things going on and have been unable to spend much time with the XL Engine. Among other things, without going into detail, this includes more responsibility at work, a project coming to a close and frantically trying to meet some hard deadlines.

However I have not given up on the project and will be returning with updates again as soon as possible. I expect to be able to be able to continue working on the project in earnest within a few weeks and should return to making regular updates at that time.

Again, sorry for not communicating this earlier - I didn't realize it would take so long to get everything into order. :cry:
Taemos
Junior-Member

Re: Delays

Postby Taemos » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:11 am

Real life happens. I've been watching this project since 2009 and have seen how far it's come. Do what you have to do. Just don't give up. :)
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Well, it's kinda sad, but you're still there, huh? :) Hope we'll see something till end of the year.
BrotherBrick

Postby BrotherBrick » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:30 am

Understood and thanks for the updates. :)

Too little time to do the things we love doing.
theelf
Junior-Member

Postby theelf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:42 am

Oh! thanks a lot for updates

Good luck in your real life stuff
Osprey
Poster

Postby Osprey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:27 am

Lucius, thanks for what you've done far and for not abandoning the project. If I may, I'd like to make a suggestion, though. You appear to have ambitious plans for the engine that'll take a monster number of hours to complete, so it's understandable that you don't have the time for all of that. My suggestion is put that on the backburner for now and see if you can find the time to fix a few of the larger bugs. My familiarity and interest is mostly in DarkXL, so the rest will relate to that.

For example, for DarkXL:

* Fix the Nar Shaddaa crashing bug or... and this would save you a whole lot of time... simply ask donrevan (who posted in the Mods/Addons thread) if you may incorporate his DarkXL Fix changes (since he provided the source code) or, at the very least, include his precompiled files. He also fixed or worked around the weapon pickup bugs, so that's a bonus to just using his work.

* Make the game beatable without cheating by...
A) Fixing the puzzle bug on the Arc Hammer level or, barring that, seeing if you can open the door that the puzzle is supposed to open (either just having it open all the time or, perhaps, making it so that any of the 5 puzzle switches open it).
B) Fixing the door to the shuttle bay on the Arc Hammer level after beating the end boss.

If that's all that you can find time for, that would be fine, since that would make the game beatable and save gamers a lot of time and questions.

If you find a bit more time after that, you could...

* Fix the door at the start of the Executor level. This isn't critical, since people can blow it up to open it, but if you've already fixed the doors on the Arc Hammer level, this might be a simple fix to duplicate.

* Expose secondary fire in the Configuration screen so that people can re-map it without messing with the darkxl.cfg file.

* Fix secondary fire on detonators to have the 3-second delay that they're supposed to.

If you were to fix those things, but especially the game-breaking ones, you could call it the Beta, walk away and never touch DarkXL again. Having DarkXL and DaggerXL merged into one download and DarkXL having a launcher with settings like DaggerXL could be nice, but I think that most gamers are happy with how DarkXL is now and are just hoping to see a few of the aforementioned bugs fixed. You've done such a great job so far to get it to 99% usability that it seems a bit of a pity to not get it to 100% before turning to extra features that could take a long time and that you might not ever get around to. Anyways, that's just a respectful suggestion. Thanks a lot for all that you've done so far and for even being willing to revisit and commit precious time to the project in the first place.
LampGenie
Lurker

Postby LampGenie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Hiya luciusDXL,

Thank you for your work so far, I do appreciate it.

I would like to ask you though, are you still busy working on this? I don't care if this takes another 20 years, just would like to know if you're still busy.

I honestly really don't care how long it takes and it will probably take many years, I don't mind no updates, I'm just wondering.

There's another updated Daggerfall being worked on which you are probably aware of. Though that is Daggerfall only, XL engine could offer so much more.

I'm following your work since the very start, always checking back over the years, really enjoying seeing the progress, so I just now registered to pretty much ask you: How are you? Still working on it? Everything alright?

Cheers!

Return to “News”