Mac Mode (working title)

Nokiaman
Poster

Re: Mac Mode (working title)

Postby Nokiaman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:04 pm

Ah I see. I never had access to Mac version so thanks for your explanation :D
So I guess I will use the tracks as a mod if DXL will support MP3.
Last edited by Nokiaman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrFlibble

Postby MrFlibble » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Nokiaman wrote:What about the music? I was led to believe Mac version uses this kind of music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZjX-nS ... 66FCB9C66C
This sounds like it could be the original MIDIs played through some soundfont. AFAIK, the high-quality CD versions of audio tracks from some 90s games like Warcraft II or Shadow Warrior were recorded using a similar process. It is not implausible that the Mac version came with the CD Audio soundtrack on the CD. For example, the Mac port of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans has CD Audio tracks, although IIRC they cannot be actually played in the game.
Nokiaman
Poster

Postby Nokiaman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:13 pm

MrFlibble wrote:
Nokiaman wrote:What about the music? I was led to believe Mac version uses this kind of music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZjX-nS ... 66FCB9C66C
This sounds like it could be the original MIDIs played through some soundfont. AFAIK, the high-quality CD versions of audio tracks from some 90s games like Warcraft II or Shadow Warrior were recorded using a similar process. It is not implausible that the Mac version came with the CD Audio soundtrack on the CD. For example, the Mac port of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans has CD Audio tracks, although IIRC they cannot be actually played in the game.

Possible but the 15th track in the playlist is heavily chorus which isn't similar to original MIDI AFAIK.
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Mac games often included their own sound banks hidden away in the resource fork of the executable. I know it's at least the case for the Mac ports of Sim City 2000 and Wolfenstein 3D.
W. G. Bergamot
Junior-Member

Postby W. G. Bergamot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Well, here on my Jedi Knight-era PC speakers, I was fooled into thinking that Nokiaman's link was an official soundtrack, recorded by a live orchestra and choir.

It appears that the youtube version is neither an official soundtrack nor the Mac port music. I believe it to be either Lundquist's version of the soundtrack or Kenneth L. Simonsen's version of the soundtrack. Unless, of course, the "L" stands for Lundquist, and he is one and the same. I haven't heard Simonsen's version, but Lundquist's take is indistinguishable from the youtube version to my ears.

As for whether the Mac music was different, the jury is still out.

edit: To add fuel to the '"soundbanks hidden away in the resource fork of the executable" fire, there are files named "Dark Forces Instruments 1" and "Dark Forces Instruments 2" in one of the directories of my Mac Dark Forces rip. They are both an unknown file type containing zero bytes.
Nokiaman
Poster

Postby Nokiaman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:34 pm

If it's truly fan-made then my hats off to whoever made it. It's amazingly accurate and faithful to original MIDIs and sounds like something from the movies :shock:
MrFlibble

Postby MrFlibble » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:39 am

W. G. Bergamot wrote:It appears that the youtube version is neither an official soundtrack nor the Mac port music. I believe it to be either Lundquist's version of the soundtrack or Kenneth L. Simonsen's version of the soundtrack.
Cool, I didn't know about these :)

While I appreciate the fact that many MIDI soundtracks have been faithfully recorded on high-quality original hardware to be used with modern source ports, I kind of miss all the efforts by people to make their own covers/arrangements of game music, like Mark McWane's version of the Duke Nukem 3D soundtrack.
Nokiaman
Poster

Postby Nokiaman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:21 am

Is this really supposed to work with original game?
K-j
Junior-Member

Postby K-j » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:14 am

W. G. Bergamot wrote:Well, here on my Jedi Knight-era PC speakers, I was fooled into thinking that Nokiaman's link was an official soundtrack, recorded by a live orchestra and choir.

It appears that the youtube version is neither an official soundtrack nor the Mac port music. I believe it to be either Lundquist's version of the soundtrack or Kenneth L. Simonsen's version of the soundtrack. Unless, of course, the "L" stands for Lundquist, and he is one and the same. I haven't heard Simonsen's version, but Lundquist's take is indistinguishable from the youtube version to my ears.

As for whether the Mac music was different, the jury is still out.

edit: To add fuel to the '"soundbanks hidden away in the resource fork of the executable" fire, there are files named "Dark Forces Instruments 1" and "Dark Forces Instruments 2" in one of the directories of my Mac Dark Forces rip. They are both an unknown file type containing zero bytes.

I'd be interested to hear what the Mac and Playstation versions sounded like. I think the PS version is on YouTube somewhere.

The STAR WARS theme used in Nokiaman's link is clearly an actual soundtrack recording rip with altered speed, fast forwarding into the Dark Forces segment and the quality or realism isn't the same.

I haven't heard the Kenneth L. Simonsen version (does anyone have it that they can share?), though I have heard a track he did from LucasArts' Fate Of Atlantis and it sounds good. The other version, and another guy who does reworks of old midi soundtracks with great and expensive instrument samples, both drown the sound in reverb. Synth sounds get replaced with orchestral samples, or sometimes parts are really hard to hear because of all the reverb or omitted altogether. But regardless, none of which you can use in-game. I'm putting together a faithful soundfont so everyone can actually play Dark Forces, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter specifically with better interactive music (I'll probably make another thread when I have a demo to show).

I can't wait to play DF all the way through again with a mouse btw. :)
MrFlibble

Postby MrFlibble » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 am

Nokiaman wrote:Is this really supposed to work with original game?

Of course not. The format is the same so the DOS version can read the Mac data, but the sprites are twice the size of what is used with the DOS version, and the game does not have any way to compensate for it.
K-j wrote:I can't wait to play DF all the way through again with a mouse btw. :)

The original game does support mouse input, just not mouselook. I've just played the demo a bit with WASD keyboard configuration, and while not perfectly smooth it's playable enough. (Still would be better if the vertical axis were used for looking up and down instead of walking.)

Return to “Mods / Addons”