New GENERAL MIDI Music Soundfont

K-j
Junior-Member

New GENERAL MIDI Music Soundfont

Postby K-j » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:22 am

I'm working on a new General MIDI soundfont for more realistic sounding instruments for the old STAR WARS games' midi soundtracks, other DOS or midi based games, composing, whatever people want to use it for.

Here are a couple of midi tracks from Dark Forces using my new GEN MIDI soundfont:

DARK FORCES

DF_10FIGH00_GM_SF2_WIP_Kiwi6_Kj_.mp3
DF_37STAL00_GM_SF2_WIP_Kiwi6_Kj_.mp3

Here's the first action 'fight' track and Anoat City's 'stalker' level track to get an idea of the orchestra and synth instrument mix. High end and quality has degraded due to the lossy conversion to mp3, the uncompressed soundfont sounds better.

TIE FIGHTER

TF_Climfix_GM_SF2_WIP_Kiwi6_Kj_.mp3
TF_23-trainpod_GM_SF2_WIP_Kiwi6_Kj_.mp3

Part of the inflight atmospheric changes score, and Training Pod & credits music.

X-WING

XW_BattleWaitMusic-MainBattleMusic_GM_SF2_WIP_Kiwi6_Kj_.mp3
XW_Empire_GM_SF2_WIP_Kiwi6_Kj_.mp3

Inflight music from X-Wing, waiting into main battle music, and music from a cutscene featuring The Imperial March.

Here's a pretty well sequenced midi found online, from another movie score by John Williams:

Prelude_and_Main_Title_March_GM_SF2_WIP_Kiwi6_Kj_.mp3

Any feedback and suggestions welcomed.
Last edited by K-j on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-j
Junior-Member

Re: New GENERAL MIDI Music Soundfont

Postby K-j » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:15 am

Links updated.

I've been working on the soundfont a lot, reverb settings altered, and beefed up the string section considerably (Main Title and others sounds much better now), and a thousand other things. Anyone that's already downloaded the old links care to compare the alterations? Any comments or suggestions at all?
K-j
Junior-Member

Postby K-j » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:59 am

5 more soundfont midi demos added, 2 from TIE Fighter, 2 from X-Wing, and one from another of John Williams' triumphant scores.
K-j
Junior-Member

Postby K-j » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 am

I nearly posted some more demos, as I guess the soundfont has reached a 'Release Candidate' state. Countless setting alterations later, some instrument swapping and removal, resampling/looping, some additional GM2 instruments and drumkits, nearly there. Only thing that stopped me posting more up to date demos is that I've been messing with both the string section preset settings again. But it is sounding much better to me, and should be worth all the extra effort.
K-j
Junior-Member

Postby K-j » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am

So this went from RC status to having a major overhaul. I found that some soundfonts I used were commercially released, so I removed those, found some more damned good free stuff, and it's sounding much better, better than ever.

I need to optimise String Ensemble (lots of instruments in there meaning lots of active voices, probably resulting in slow down on older machines). I need to get the reverb right, it sounds much better now but listening to it on different sound systems, it could still do with turning up.

I want to release some new demos as the others are old hat now, but I know I'm almost there now and very soon newer demos would sound different to the finished release.

Return to “Mods / Addons”