DarkXL Fix

donrevan
Lurker

DarkXL Fix

Postby donrevan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:04 pm

This isn't really a Mod/Addon.. I'll post it here anyway.
Over the last few days I've been playing DarkXL(really great work lucius!) but a few things started to annoy me(especially the Nar Shaddaa crash that we all know).. and I don't want to wait until a new version is released :P

That's why I made this!
Basically DarkXL_Fix is a hack(sort of) that patches code into DarkXL in order to fix certain bugs/apply patches.

List of fixes/patches currently included:

Requirements:
This is compiled via msvc10 so you need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) in order for it to work properly.

Install:
1. Download
darkxlfix_bin.zip
precompiled binary + config
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 858 times

2. Extract contents of the archive to the folder where DarkXL.exe resides in
3. Run DarkXL (you should see a text "Alpha 9.50 DarkFX" in the lower right corner of the screen in the main menu if everything worked)

Configuration:
If you experience crashes or don't want to enable a certain patch just open
"darkxl_fix.ini" via your favorite text editor. You can use true/false to enable or disable a certain patch.

Why is the DLL named d3d9.dll?:
It's called a DLL proxy. DarkXL uses DirectX9 which is why it loads d3d9.dll. I use this so darkxl_fix get's automatically loaded.

Where's the source, Luke?:
Here! ( take care src is hacked together - I warned you ;) )
darkxlfix_src.zip
source code
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
jet800
Senior-Member

Re: DarkXL Fix

Postby jet800 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:57 pm

That's awesome, man. I hope this would help people to play this very awesome game with all enhancements Lucius did.

And I hope that this could bring Lucius attention to the fact that his creation is loved and still needed and valuable. Hope he'll return to work on XL Engine.

Again, A-WE-SO-ME : :ugeek:
boris
Poster

Postby boris » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:35 am

This is absolutelly the best news ever since Lucius has gone silent!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! My favourite old school game now works almost perfectly (the barrels still do not explode and music volume cant be adjusted but what the hell, do not be nitpicky :) )

Minor bugs:
- I noticed that when mortar is fired the firing animation sequence is not triggered (see http://www.spriters-resource.com/resour ... /35834.png.)
- when used in secondary mode, the grenade should bounce off and explode with 3 sec. delay but it explodes on impact just as in primary mode

Now only if we were able to:
- easily run third party maps (df-21.net is full of superb maps and whole episodes)
- run weapon mods (i did a bowcaster mod replacing fusion cutter which worked just fine in the old days but does not work with DarKXL. would love to be able to use it again http://df21.net/downloads/misc/wookie_bowcaster.zip)

Please please make that happen too! :)

Cheers

b.
Special K

Postby Special K » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Impressive work, donrevan! I haven't actually played Dark XL yet, but this just gave me an even better reason to do just that!
donrevan
Lurker

Postby donrevan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:51 pm

Thank you guys! I'm glad that this is usefull for you

@boris: I'll see what I can do about that :D
boris
Poster

Postby boris » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:43 am

We thank you.

If you fix the other mentioned things I trust you will make a lot of people very happy :)

I guess admins should pin/flag this thread as I believe donrevans work is a major step up in the DarkXL development and should not be overlooked by fans.
dnp
Lurker

Postby dnp » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:52 am

I would love to download this but was shocked that you made it so everything resets after each level. I cant believe people would actually wont that changed. Play the game on easy if its that freaking hard. That was the one thing that made this game so challenging. Your lives and health did not reset in the original 1995 release. If you are not aware you can find an extra life in each level if you look hard enough.
It would be awesome if you could make that a separate download so I don't have to ruin my game.
Thanks!
dnp
Lurker

Postby dnp » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:58 am

Sorry I just noticed you can set what you want changed with true and false.
Job well done!!!!
Thanks Again.
Osprey
Poster

Postby Osprey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks a lot, donrevan. I hadn't played DarkXL before your fix, but I'm sure that the fix made my recent playthrough more enjoyable than it would've been without it.

boris wrote:Minor bugs:
- I noticed that when mortar is fired the firing animation sequence is not triggered (see http://www.spriters-resource.com/resour ... /35834.png.)
- when used in secondary mode, the grenade should bounce off and explode with 3 sec. delay but it explodes on impact just as in primary mode

At least the second (the detonator secondary fire issue) appears to be a bug with DarkXL, not with the fix. I just disabled the fix and, just to be 100% sure, played through missions 1 & 2 and the beginning of mission 3, until I first got the detonators,and secondary fire still didn't work with them. Regardless, perhaps it's something that donrevan could manage to fix, if he ever feels like revisiting the fix.
connected365
Lurker

Postby connected365 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:18 am

This patch is excellent thanks. Would it be easy/possible to add another configurable option in the darkxl_fix.ini file for Music=False ?

Thank You

Return to “Mods / Addons”