Dark Forces Mac Version

Apoxxle
Lurker

Dark Forces Mac Version

Postby Apoxxle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:39 am

Hello I was wondering if you were ever planning on adding support for the MAC Version's files. I tried running them but they seem to fail to load.
Deimos
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Dark Forces Mac Version

Postby Deimos » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:26 am

Sorry for the late reply.

As far as I know (and this was a couple years ago) Mac support for DXL was likely to be possible once the Beta was finished but he would need someone else to port it to OSX. Also, I'm pretty sure it's just for the DOS version of DF, but DF is relatively easy to get ahold of these days via Steam or some other legacy software sites.

But honestly I've been out of the loop for a long time so I don't know what the status is on DXL overall and what features are to be dropped or added. But I would certainly hope for a Mac-capable version in the future.
Burning Gundam from DF-21.net
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Umm, as there will be linux version porting to mac would be easy as pie :)
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Postby luciusDXL » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:32 pm

I just wanted to clarify something for everyone. Unfortunately I didn't respond to this two years ago (!) but just so everyone else knows what's going on. :P

The OP was asking if DarkXL would be able to use the data from the Mac version of Dark Forces since it has some higher resolution art (HUD and some cutscene elements if I remember correctly). Currently this can be done with the latest build but it is a pain so I will make using the Mac game data easier in the future.

Also I do plan on supporting OS X as well as Linux and this would apply to all supported games.
Deimos
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Deimos » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 am

Oops, I totally read that wrong :P. I've been a bit sleep deprived lately.
filipetolhuizen
Poster

Postby filipetolhuizen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 pm

The data files may work, but copying them to a PC can be tricky. You'll have to try either the copy of the data fork, resource fork or binary mode from the files. You will need special tools for that.
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Depends what you mean by special tools. I think zipping it might be enough; or copying to a USB stick. The resource fork then gets put into a second file with a special prefix. E.g. file.ext gets its resource fork stored into a named named ._file.ext.

At least, I've often seen files such things happening in archives uploaded by people with Macs; as well as when I lent an USB memory stick to someone who needed to copy files from a Mac to another computer (and didn't clean it out afterwards).
Deimos
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Deimos » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Seems to work just fine for me, seeing as I do it on almost a daily basis with Bootcamp with the same external drive being shared between the two OSs.
filipetolhuizen
Poster

Postby filipetolhuizen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:07 pm

It depends on which Mac OS version he's running. I assume he still runs Classic along with OS X. If he also has OS X, then no further tools will be needed.
Deimos
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Deimos » Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Actually, yeah, you're right now that I think of it. I remember back when I was editing and playing on a mac all the time when I wanted to play an addon level I had to convert it to a Mac GOB file. I'm assuming the same would need to be done vice-versa even to just extract the files from the Mac version required for the effect. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try and see if it works anyway, seeing as I still have my old mac CD. If it does, then Lucius I will have your hi-res files for you soon :P

Return to “Feature Requests”