Dark Forces original music

Kyle Katarn
Lurker

Dark Forces original music

Postby Kyle Katarn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:52 am

Hi all, especially Lucius and others helping with this great development.

I played first level today in GOG version of Dark Forces as well as Dark XL, and I am almost sure that not only iMuse isn't working in DXL but those midis are little different too. Am I right or are my ears deceiving me? The DXL music sounds little better...but strangely, for me that is worse.
I didn't realise this before but for my enjoyment of the game, maybe through nostalgia factor, this original, rough midi music is very important.

Could you give us option to choose between original and enhanced music in one of next builds? Is it possible to implement iMuse system in game?

Regards,
Andrew

PS: I realize my nickname is little pretentious, but that was first one I had, many years ago, when I was just a little kid. That is how much this game means to me. So, once again, thank you for making it more playable and beautiful.
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Re: Dark Forces original music

Postby luciusDXL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Kyle Katarn wrote:Hi all, especially Lucius and others helping with this great development.

I played first level today in GOG version of Dark Forces as well as Dark XL, and I am almost sure that not only iMuse isn't working in DXL but those midis are little different too. Am I right or are my ears deceiving me? The DXL music sounds little better...but strangely, for me that is worse.
I didn't realise this before but for my enjoyment of the game, maybe through nostalgia factor, this original, rough midi music is very important.

Could you give us option to choose between original and enhanced music in one of next builds? Is it possible to implement iMuse system in game?

Regards,
Andrew

PS: I realize my nickname is little pretentious, but that was first one I had, many years ago, when I was just a little kid. That is how much this game means to me. So, once again, thank you for making it more playable and beautiful.

You are correct that iMuse is not functioning correctly. However the midi tracks are exactly the same though how the midi is played is different - which is probably what you are noticing.

iMuse should be working in the upcoming Beta. As for the quality of the midi playback, that is something I will have to look at after the initial Beta release.
Kyle Katarn
Lurker

Postby Kyle Katarn » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:27 am

Thank you for your response.
I was afraid that iMuse, would be harder to get to work, so I am very happy to hear that it will be present in the beta.
As for the midi playback, I hope that there are some other people that feel like me, so it would be worth for you to spend some time to give us an option for original playback style.

Now excuse me, I have to track some weapon designer in Anoat ;-)
jon-t
Junior-Member

Postby jon-t » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Lucius, if you have figured out iMuse, I must applaud you.

That is fantastic!
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:31 am

I believe iMuse has been largely figured out by the ScummVM folks? Though the documentation they've written on their wiki is rather dry.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCUMM ... iMuse_data
Uzver
Poster

Postby Uzver » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:08 pm

DosBox emulates a SoundBlaster soundcard that has OPL3 synthesizer usually used for playing MIDI music in DOS era. So it should sound good because developers check how music sounds with OPL synthesizer. While you play DarkFX, midi music is send to Windows. Windows has a build-in midi synthesizer "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" but usually sound terrible because developers don't check how it sounds.

Alternatively you can download and install a "Software OPL3 Synthesizer" http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=36667. But starting from Windows Vista there are no way to change a default midi synthesizer via GUI. Use Putzlowitsch's Vista MIDI Mapper Control Panel in order to change a default midi synthesizer.
K-j
Junior-Member

Postby K-j » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:51 am

luciusDXL wrote:iMuse should be working in the upcoming Beta. As for the quality of the midi playback, that is something I will have to look at after the initial Beta release.

I'm glad you can get iMuse to work! It's still so immersive to have the music change with the game progression.

I've been working a lot on my own new soundfont. I always loved Dark Forces' original music, and that in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, even though the old soundcards never did it justice. Plus all the soundfonts I tried for these games, to my ears, were never balanced enough or sounded right with them, so I decided to make my own specifically to work properly and sound good with these classic LucasArts & Totally Games titles. It's not exactly the London Symphony Orchestra, and I've never made one before, but I'm quite happy and proud with it so far. It's also been fun learning as I've been going, and listening to all the music again.

Return to “Feature Requests”