DarkXL & Dark Forces [German Version] Bug Report

Haarspalter
Lurker

DarkXL & Dark Forces [German Version] Bug Report

Postby Haarspalter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello DarkXL forum members!

I'm a long time Dark Forces fan from Germany and i was looking for a zDOOM-like Mod for my favorite Star Wars FPS. Fortunately i found this forum and i really appreciate all the hard work and the labour of love to revitalize Dark Forces via the XL Engine. Since i'm not capable to contribute any programming or coding stuff, i would like to share my Bug Report of DarkXL running with the German Version of Dark Forces. I don't know how many of stuff is already known or applies to the English Version as well - i simply noted everything that i noticed or felt awkward.

I really enjoy playing Dark Forces via the XL Engine and hopefully one day it will run glitch free :-)

Dark Forces Version: MS-DOS, German Retail CD-ROM, Full Installation
Applied Update: An official update for the German Version that patches the radio communication for Kyle & Jan in Mission 5 after defeating the Dark Trooper.

Dark XL Version: XL Engine Release R2
Applied Update: DarkXL Fix by donrevan

Difficulty: Medium

[General Gameplay Bugs/Glitches]

- Weapon physics do not work 100% correct as in the original game. The laser/projectile impacts are supposed to push enemies back (depends on the weapon).

Noticable with the otherwise impact strong Repeater Gun.

- Through ALL levels the behaviour for ALL enemies does not work 100% correct as in the original game.

Sometimes the enemies attack the Player at once and sometimes they just stand there even if the Player is in

plain view. Examples: the first Kell Dragon on Jabba's Ship is supposed to attack the Player immediately.

At my playthrough the Kell Dragon just stood there and did nothing until i approached him. Some Stormtroopers

in Imperial City stood quitely around and did nothing despite i was shooting at their comrades a few meters away.

In the original game the very same Stormtroopers got aware immediately of the same shooting incident.

First Dark Trooper V2 aboard the Executor just hangs in the air and does nothing even if the Player is in plain view.

Just like the Kell Dragon he started his attack after i approached him.

- Player proximity triggers enemy-behind-walls/floors awareness ---> enemies start shooting.

Maybe relatable to the already mentioned Enemy X-ray Glitch. Example: in Nar Shaddaa a Gamorrean Guard

got aware of me through a closed door (!) when my head lamp was activated. Same goes for the first room in

Mission 13, The Executor: i walked the along wall next to the first door and the enemies behind it became aware of me.

- Ice slide physics in Robotics Facility seem to be completely absent.

- Pressure damage due to enviromental hazards seems to be completely absent.

- Player enters the same "Space" of an above a floating enemy ---> Player can't move/is stuck.

Glitch is reproduceable: run into the first Interrogation Droid in Anoat city (on Medium difficulty).

- Dark Trooper V1 & V2 go down pretty easy because they get stuck when they are under constant fire.

They do not behave/fight properly: V1 Dark troopers do not reflect any Laser blasts as they should.

V2 Dark Troopers hang in air at their starting points and perform an awkward "walk-fly" animation pattern.

- The upper half of the Imperial Probe Droid does not seem to register direct hits. I targeted the upper half

and my blaster shots went right through the Droid. Might be an issue with the position of the Player when

he attacks from a higher or lower position. Happened randomly

- Firing rate of the Automatic turret is not correct. It should fire faster.

- "Lightsaber Training" Droid (the little grey ball) is completely absent.

- Head lamp HUD bulp (the little red one in the right HUD) does not work.

- Thermal Detonator & Mortar Gun blast radius seem to be rather punctual than wide spread.

- Secondary Fire for Repeater Gun & Fusion Cutter is glitched. Under constant fire not every rail

of the specific gun shoots a projectile. There is a recurring pattern of the omitted rails.

- Thermal Detonator: second function acts like primary function.

- Repeater Gun ammo droppping rate of the Imperial probe droid is not consistent.

- Laser/projectile blasts pass right through Kyle's ship "The Crow" - it should be impenetrable.

- Super Shield Power Up cannot be picked up (I tried it in Robotics Facility & Nar Shaddaa).

- Barrels do not explode and the Player can walk-through them as if they are made out of thin air.

- Mouse droids barely move and cannot be destroyed.

- Tradoshans do not drop Concussion Rifle.

[General Graphic Bugs/Glitches]

- After [Mission Abort] from "Gromas Mines" and starting any other mission (for example: "Secret Base")

all enemies & items will get the Gromas Mines colorpalette (red tones). This glitch only

affects enemies & items ("The Crow" included) which also appear in "Gromas Mines".

- Repeater Gun "specific projectile impact sprite" is missing, looks like normal "stormtrooper

rifle laser impact sprite".

- Mortar Gun reload animation with muzzle flash is missing.

- Repeater Gun [Out of ammo] Secondary fire shows a Repeater Gun graphic with muzzle flash.

- Fusion Cutter [Out of ammo] Primary fire shows a Fusion Cutter graphic with muzzle flash at the 2nd Rail.

- Assault Cannon [Out of ammo] Primary fire shows an Assault Cannon graphic with muzzle flash.

- Probe Droid explosion uses the I.M. Mine explosion effect.

- Automatic Turret explosion uses rocket explosion effect from Assault cannon.

- Sky box needs to be fixed (cosmetic issue more or less).

- Rotation speed of the Extra Life item is too slow.

- A lighting effect on the "Crow" from muzzle flash is missing.

[General Sound Bugs/Glitches]

- Speech/Dialogue phrases silenced after few words.

- Backround music does not change to dramatic/swelling tunes when many enemies appear.

After that it should return to calmer tunes (normal music) when the enemies are defeated.

- In all levels several enviromental + NPC sounds seem to be dislocated and vary in volume.

Sounds from inside the buildings can be clearly heard outside.

- Voices of enemies that are hundred meters away can be heard as if they stand right beside Kyle.

- High Imperial Officer (brown uniform) uses the voice of normal Stormtroopers.

- Automatic Turret uses the sound of Stormtrooper rifle.

- Imperial Probe Droid laser uses the sound of Stormtrooper rifle.

- I.M. Mine explosion uses sound from Thermal Detonator explosion.

- Repeater Gun [Out of ammo] Klicking sound for secondary fire is the same as for primary fire.

It should have a slower intervall.

- Fusion Cutter [Out of ammo] Klicking sound for primary fire is too fast. It should have a slower intervall.

- Fusion Cutter [Out of ammo] Klicking sound for secondary fire is too slow. It should have a faster intervall.

- Assault Cannon [Out of ammo] Secondary fire (Rocket) uses a klicking sound from primary fire. There should be no

klicking sound for the secondary fire at all.

- Concussion Rifle [Out of ammo] Klicking sound for primary & secondary fire is too fast. It should have a slower intervall.

- Mortar Gun [Out of ammo] Klicking sound for primary & secondary fire is too fast. It should have a slower intervall.

- Mortar Gun explosion uses sound from Thermal Detonator explosion.

- Imperial Probe Droid explosion uses sound from Thermal Detonator explosion.

- Gran (the three-eyed alien) uses Interogation Droid syringe sounds for melee attacks.

- Infrared Goggles activation sound is missing.

[Level Specific Bugs/Glitches]

- Anoat City: [Gameplay Bug] After going up the stairs at the landing platform for the first time an Imperial

Probe Droid appears out of nowhere near the "Crow" (on Medium Difficulty).

- Anoat City: [Sound Bug] Water flowing sounds are missing.

- Research Facility: [Graphic Bug] At the beginning of the Level the "Crow" flys away and immediately comes back

as if the mission is complete.

- Research Facility: [Sound Bug] Wind blowing sounds are missing.

- Research Facility: [Sound Bug] Random sounds are to hear at the three Letter Key Code input to access

the Silo where the Phrik Metal is stored (Mouse Droids, Door opening sounds, etc.).

- Gromas Mines: [Graphic Bug] The "Crow" is only visible from a certain point of view at the extraction point after

the mission is complete.

- Detention Center: [Graphic Bug] Floor 2: First green Force field flickers too fast.

- Detention Center: [Graphic Bug] Floor 2: Panel with switch to Cell Block "floats" above desk ---> disappears

when Player stands behind the desk.

- Ramses Hed: [Gameplay Bug] Got stuck behind a crate with three Thermal Detonators next to it.

Couldn't get out ---> had to kill myself.

- Ramses Hed: [Gameplay Bug] Moving Block puzzle does not work correctly. But it is possible to advance further

due to jumping.

- Ramses Hed: [Graphic Bug] The polygon things right next to the mission objective should spin.

- Robotics Facility: [Graphic Bug] At the first hazard basin (the liquid yellow stuff) is a floating

texture on the wall/column.

- Nar Shaddaa: [Sound Bug] Music loop does not work correct. There seem to be an overlay for a few seconds.

when the music starts from the beginning.

- Nar Shaddaa: [Sound Bug] Wind blowing sounds are missing.

- Nar Shaddaa: [Graphic Bug] The container that floats around in Nar Shaddaa is missing.

- Imperial City: [Graphic Bug] The "Crow" is not visible at mission start.

- Imperial City: [Graphic Bug] Trigger texture to secret area (behind the Emperor's face at larger open

square with the first Dark Trooper V1) is visible due to shifted texture. There is also a floating

texture nearby when the elevator moves. The second trigger floats in the air when the Player faces the square.

- Imperial City: [Gameplay Bug] Search lights on the first roof (where the blue key is located) do not work correctly.

Even the slightest interaction with them should trigger the appearance of Stormtroopers & Automatic turrets.

- Imperial City: [Gameplay Bug] Interrogation Droids could harm me with melee attacks in the main building despite being on

different floors. Incident happened always near one of the three elevator shafts.

- Imperial City: [Gameplay Bug] First time ever pick up of the Assault cannon does not contain any ammo. It should contain

50 plasma cells and 5 rockets.

- Imperial City: [Graphic Bug] Nava Card decoding texture is missing despite being inserted for the decoding process.

- Imperial City: [Graphic Bug] Picking up the Data Tape says [Dark Trooper Waffe] - that is the german designation of the

mission objective item from Level 2. The correct designation should be [Datenband].

- Imperial City: [Gameplay Bug] Boba Fett is completely stuck at his starting point... he shoots though.

- Imperial City: [Graphic Bug] Mission Complete: The "Crow" is visible when she returns to the extraction point. But she becomes

invisible after she reaches her "motionless" floating position.

- Fuel Station: [Gameplay Bug] There seems to be no physical contact between the rotating platform and the Player despite

walking/standing on it. When the platform starts rotating, it does not affect the position of the Player at all.

- Fuel Station: [Graphic Bug] There is a hallway textured barrier outside the fuel station. Best noticable at mission start or

when the Player reaches the final room with the mission objective switch.

- The Executor: [Sound bug] A switch sound is supposed to be heard right after the mission starts.

- The Executor: [Graphic Bug] The graphic texture of the first door is distorted.

- The Executor: [Gameplay Bug] In the original game the Player approaches the first door and I.M. Mine behind the

door blows it open. Here, the only way to advance is to open the door with a Thermal Detonator. (thanks to MagicDN for that tip)

- The Executor: [Sound Bug] Music loop does not work correct. There seem to be an overlay for a few seconds.

when the music starts from the beginning.

- The Executor: [Graphic Bug] The famous Tie-Fighter launch in one of the hangars is missing. The Tie-Fighter is there though

but it remains motionless in his docking port.

- The Executor: [Graphic Bug] The mission objective container is invisible until the first switch is activated.

- The Arc Hammer: [Sound Bug] Annoying mechanic/door sound loop in the whole level.

- The Arc Hammer: [Gameplay Bug] Electroweld cranes do not attack and cannot be destroyed. The Player can walk-through them as

if they are made out of thin air.

- The Arc Hammer: [Graphic Bug] Just as in the Fuel Station, there is a hallway textured barrier outside the Arc Hammer.

Noticable after the first V1 Dark Troopers ---> after the door turn left.

- The Arc Hammer: [Gameplay Bug] A V1 Dark Trooper hurt me with his melee attack despite i was standing directly above him

on a "out of reach" ledge.

- The Arc Hammer: [Graphic Bug] Texture of the first bigger gray/black door (with the red ring) is slightly shifted upwards.

- The Arc Hammer: [Graphic Bug] Inside the main elevator shafts (red/white walls) that separates the level segments one

wall texture is definitely floating. It's easy to distinguish from the opposite wall which is moving

normally wihin the elevator mechanics.

- The Arc Hammer: [Graphic Bug] There are some floating textures on the wall along the fast vertical moving platforms in the

segment leading to the 2nd exhaust port.

- The Arc Hammer: [Gameplay Bug] The 5-switch-door-puzzle is glitched. The moving walls cannot be aligned correctly.

The Player has to overcome the puzzle-specific doors by pressing the [G]-Button. (thanks to MagicDN for that tip)

- The Arc Hammer: [Gameplay Bug] As other bosses Rom Mohc's movement/attack pattern is glitched and stuck within the level architecture.

- The Arc Hammer: [Sound Bug] Even after Mohc is defeated a sound effect of his laughter/suit movement can be heard from time to time.

- The Arc Hammer: [Gameplay Bug] After Mohc is defeated the hangar door to the shuttle does not open. Again the Player has to overcome

the glitched door by pressing the [G]-Button. (thanks to MagicDN for that tip)

[General Cut Scene Bugs/Glitches]

- Speech/Dialogue phrases silenced after few words.

- Music does not play.

- Gromas Mines: [Mission complete] Cut Scene does not play.

- Robotics Facility: [Mission complete] Cut Scene does not play.

- Nar Shaddaa: [Mission complete] DarkXL crashes shortly after Cut Scene starts. The same Cut Scene

is shown when [Mission 10: Jabba's Ship] starts.

- Jabba's Ship: [Graphic Bug] Some elements of the Intro Cut Scene are glitched:

the animation of Kyle's threatening arm stance, Jabba's hologram does not move all the

time and freezes for some instances, the fourth Jabba subtitle (where he mentions his Kell Dragon)

gets replaced by the first subtitle ["Das also ist Katarn, ..." - Translation: "So this is Katarn, ..."],

Kyle's body stance when he gets thrown into the pit is not fully animated to the end.

- The Executor: [Mission complete] DarkXL crashes shortly after Cut Scene starts. The same Cut Scene

is shown when [Mission 14: The Arc Hammer] starts.

- The Arc Hammer: [Mission complete] End Cut Scene does not play. DarkXL jumps immediately to the

credits and chrashes after they are finished.

[German Version Bugs/Glitches]

- The installed german update that is supposed to patch the voices of Kyle & Jan in Gromas Mines (right after defeating

the Dark Trooper V1) is ineffective. The voices are in English again.

- Player Menu: Level names are in English instead of German.

- Player Menu: Right next to the Level names should be single letters that indicate

the difficulty the level was beaten [L for Leicht - Translation: E = Easy].

- Mission Briefing: Upper text (Mission X, headline, etc.) is mostly cut off, except for the [Mission 10: Jabba's Ship] and

[Mission 13: The Executor] briefing. The length of text seems to be crucial for this issue.

- Mission Briefing: Difficulty select fields cannot be hightlighted/selected properly maybe due to their

vertical arrangement since the English version features horizontal arrangement of difficulty select fields.

From the beginning the Hard (= Hart) difficulty is always highlighted. By selecting Hard, none of the difficulties

is highlighted at all. The amount of enemies suggests that the game now runs on a Medium (= Mittel) difficulty.

- Missing letters Ä and Ü - are NOT visible when collecting/activating items:

Picking up the Death Star plans: [Todessternpl ne] instead of [Todessternpläne]

Picking up a Key Card: [Schl sselkarte] instead of [Schlüsselkarte]

Picking Up the Infrared Googles: [Infrarot Sichtger t] instead of [Infrarot Sichtgerät]

Activating the Infrared Googles: [Sichtger t Ein] instead of [Sichtgerät Ein]

Please excuse if my english writing is not perfect ;-)
Who needs to see Rogue One? Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES 8-)
Haarspalter
Lurker

Re: DarkXL & Dark Forces [German Version] Bug Report

Postby Haarspalter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 am

WORKAROUND for selecting Difficulty Settings in the German Version

- Mission Briefing: Difficulty select fields cannot be hightlighted/selected properly maybe due to their

vertical arrangement since the English version features horizontal arrangement of difficulty select fields.

From the beginning the Hard (= Hart) difficulty is always highlighted. By selecting Hard, none of the difficulties

is highlighted at all. The amount of enemies suggests that the game now runs on a Medium (= Mittel) difficulty.

I successfully managed to choose the EASY difficulty in the German Version:

If you want to play on EASY, you have to klick LEFT-hand of the "HART"-Difficulty Tab.

If you want to play on MEDIUM, you have to klick DIRECTLY on the "HART"-Difficulty Tab.

If you want to play on HARD, you have to klick RIGHT-hand of the "HART"-Difficulty Tab.
(Or leave as it is when you enter Mission Briefing, since HARD difficulty is highlighted by default.)

However this confirms that the Difficulty tabs in the [DARK FORCES German Version + DarkXL] act like the HORIZONTAL
alignment of the tabs as in the English Version.
Who needs to see Rogue One? Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES 8-)

Return to “Bugs”