Challenge: Retcon TES III-V theme to Daggerfall

Aliotroph?
Senior-Member

Re: Challenge: Retcon TES III-V theme to Daggerfall

Postby Aliotroph? » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:39 pm

It works fine in Winamp for me. Winamp comes with a MIDI input plugin. It defaults to using the Windows softsynth thing if you have nothing else installed. If you do have something else installed then correct configuration is up to you. If you have another plugin installed that can accept MIDI files (eg. Adplug) then you might have issues and need to check your plugin configuration.

I'm not enough of a musical prodigy to have much input on accomplishing the challenge. Interesting idea, though.
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:21 am

Nope, neither WinAmp, Foobar2000, VLC or WMP can play the file. They all say it's an unsupported file format or give out no error at all (and just don't play).
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 am

I can play it with WMP, CMP, Quicktime, and even import the file to a Guitar Pro template.

Seems like a regular .Mid file to me.
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 pm

greenlight wrote:Nope, neither WinAmp, Foobar2000, VLC or WMP can play the file. They all say it's an unsupported file format or give out no error at all (and just don't play).

On which system are you? I'm on win 8 x64. Have you tried any other midi's? I can't play any midi with anything other than WMP...
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Ahh, I remember stuff. Once upon a time (about a half a year ago) my midi output stopped working for Daggerfall and DosBox. I switched to another midi set, and it worked again. I think the default midi set is still broken, and because every program is using it, it won't work. I have absolutely no idea why it isn't working as it is supposed to and I already spent some hours trying to figure out why. Well, my fault then :roll:
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...
Lazaroth
Senior-Member

Postby Lazaroth » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:00 pm

I actually started a song with the same idea; Morrowind theme in Daggerfall setting a year or so ago but never finished it because of real life. I'm on the road atm though, so I cannot upload it for another week.
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 am

Looking forward to it, Lazaroth!
AlKhwarizmi
Junior-Member

Postby AlKhwarizmi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:53 am

These days I am really busy at work so at the moment I didn't have time to do my second attempt at this.

But remember that some posts ago, I said that I hadn't the same fondness for the Daggerfall GSTORY theme as for others, because not being in-game, I hadn't listened to it much? Well, these days I have been listening to it often, and I must say it's absolutely awesome... I can't believe that the guys at Betheshda had this theme and didn't include it in the game, it's epic. It's one of the best videogame themes I've listened to.

Now my opinion is that mixing it with the Soule motif would actually be doing it a disservice, I'd rather have DaggerXL with the GSTORY theme as it is, especially in its version by ragholio, which has an epic beginning. The Soule theme is good and it's catchier than GSTORY, but GSTORY is an absolutely oustanding theme and it is (IMHO of course) better. With all due caution, one could compare these themes to Beethoven's 5th and 9th, the 5th is maybe easier to get into with the easily-recognizable four-note leit motif, but the 9th is deeper and most people who enjoy music and have listened to both several times end up preferring the 9th.

But anyway, I'll still try this. After all, the music in DaggerXL will probably be configurable so having more options won't hurt!
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Kinda sad this challenge ended up without contestants. :(
Lazaroth
Senior-Member

Postby Lazaroth » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:47 am

The song I have is about 2/3 finished. Having trouble wrapping it up in a way I'm satisfied with so I've let it sit. Will probably try to finish it relatively soon.

Return to “Music Project”