The DaggerXL Music Project (DLs in first post)

AlKhwarizmi
Junior-Member

Re: The DaggerXL Music Project (DLs in first post)

Postby AlKhwarizmi » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Wow, man. Absolutely awesome. No kidding. You have made the tracks sound really great, but at the same time you have clearly respected the original. And I also love the fact that it's a coherent remake of the whole soundtrack. I have listened to several different remakes and several of the pieces, but I think right now I would probably choose your soundtrack version to play the game.

Just one thing. There is a track in the Daggerfall soundtrack that you haven't made (unless I skipped it unadvertently). It's the awesome GSTORY.MID. OK, it doesn't play during the game, but it's part of the soundtrack. It is said to have been intended for the title screen, but for some reason (a hurry probably?) it was finally not playing even though it is included with the game files in some versions of Daggerfall. For me, though (and I think for others in this forum too), it should be the game theme in any completed remake.

Here is an existing remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBQzT2R4I90

Or this one by ragholio, not that similar to the original but my favorite for this theme: http://teatimecoder.com/file_download/3 ... GSTORY.ogg
Pieces of 8-bit
Poster

Postby Pieces of 8-bit » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks for the compliment and for bringing that to my attention. After a while I had so much listening fatigue they all starting to run together (the dungeons!), so it's good to get a few sets of eyes and ears on this. I am not a Daggerfall scholar like you guys, I'm just a diehard oldschool gamer who wants to give some love back to the community after video game music made me a musician. :)

Looking around I found some songs that I missed, including the one you mentioned and several songs that never made it to the game. I'll get them going this weekend. I'm going to try and get this perfect before Christmas gets here, so if there's anything else that needs to happen, let's get it out in the open while I'm still fresh. If this doesn't happen soon I might forget the certain procedural "style" that I put on this soundtrack and the songs will start to sound different. So that's why. Plus, I've already begun work on Doom's soundtrack (dudes, it's gonna be so sick) for a Unity remake and I don't want to get too far ahead until this Daggerfall project is finished properly. All of your help and support is a godsend, so thank each and every one of you.

P.S. someone on Reddit asked me about a song that only plays at the end of the game. If such a song exists (it's been a LONG TIME for me to remember that kind of stuff lol), if anyone can confirm that I have already remade that song or has any information about that song so I can remake it, that would be awesome. If it's a voiceover like the "Now, my champion" then I'm going to have to skip it. I'm not a voice actor lol.

Update: The main theme and 3 bonus tracks have been uploaded to the playlist. That puts the track count at 76. There's still a few more, but I figured I'd share what I had so far.
AlKhwarizmi
Junior-Member

Postby AlKhwarizmi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Great rendition of the main theme, I love that theme and you have made it justice.

The unused tracks are surprisingly good, I had never listened to them before. They seem to end rather abruptly though (maybe they were unused because they were unfinished?)
Pieces of 8-bit
Poster

Postby Pieces of 8-bit » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:22 pm

It's my understanding that they were released as part of a demo so that's why they weren't used. From a composition standpoint they are slightly less refined. and they definitely don't fit in with the style of the rest of the soundtrack that well. I wouldn't call them unfinished though. They are dang good songs, IMO. Eric Heberling did great work. I'm not sure why they replaced him for Morrowind.

A lot of game music is meant to be looped (at least it was from the 80s and 90s when cartridge/floppy/hard disk/compact disc space was limited), so rarely does it have a definitive ending. The way to deal with that is the same as the music industry when a musician can't seem to come up with an ending for their song. I can either choose to let them end at the loop point if it's solid, or I can do a fade out. In this case I chose to loop them a few times and then fade out so it wasn't so harsh of an ending.

The entire soundtrack should be up now, including all the bonus unused tracks. I'll take a look at the Snow songs sleigh bell issue tomorrow and see if I can tweak that out a little and then I should be 100% complete unless I made any other mistakes or missed anything.

In the coming weeks I will also do the Arena soundtrack, which could really use an update. I don't think Morrowind really needs my help. I could put a nice sheen on it, but it would take me weeks to do it and the improvements would be very slight comparatively. I don't think it would be worth it when the soundtrack is very good already. This is about as far as I go, circa 1997. It's from here back where my services are most needed.
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Pieces of 8-bit wrote:Edit: I fixed "Shop" and I am uploading it as we speak. In thanks to your vigilance, I doubled the length of the song and gave it some extra special treatment. It's now got over 80% more happiness. I think it turned out pretty dang good. ;)

Ugh, oh, are you certain you've uploaded edited version? As it sounds much like the onу I heard before :)

Sail 2 and Chase are awesomeness bonus!
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Pieces of 8-bit wrote:Eric Heberling did great work.

He did. However, there was another composer. He revealed that in an interview made by a French fansite (so questions and answers were all translated in French before publication, you can try this Google machine translation).

"Besides, I was not the only composer of Daggerfall. As far as I remember, Bethesda Softworks had also hired another composer, who worked for a company they owned. We never had any contact, I do not even know his name. My compositions are generally those that are named in the form of description ("sunny day", "dungeon", etc.), while his were just numbered."

I wonder who the mysterious second composer is.
AlKhwarizmi
Junior-Member

Postby AlKhwarizmi » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:39 am

Daggerfall's is my favorite game OST ever, period. And I'm not exaggerating. I have played a lot of videogames and while I know many of them with very good soundtracks, if I had to choose one it would be Daggerfall's without any doubt. It excels both per se and in the way it fits the game, and is one of the key factors that keeps bringing me back to Daggerfall.

The OSTs of Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim are also very good, definitely above average in games, but still IMO not as good as Daggerfall by a mile, I wish they hadn't changed composers.

And now I find out that some of my favorite themes (4, 8, 15, 17, 22, 23 and 29 are great) are actually by another composer, not Heberling... shocking. I'd like to find out who that composer is.
Pieces of 8-bit
Poster

Postby Pieces of 8-bit » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Gez wrote:
Pieces of 8-bit wrote:Eric Heberling did great work.

He did. However, there was another composer. He revealed that in an interview made by a French fansite (so questions and answers were all translated in French before publication, you can try this Google machine translation).

"Besides, I was not the only composer of Daggerfall. As far as I remember, Bethesda Softworks had also hired another composer, who worked for a company they owned. We never had any contact, I do not even know his name. My compositions are generally those that are named in the form of description ("sunny day", "dungeon", etc.), while his were just numbered."

I wonder who the mysterious second composer is.

I was not aware of this and I'm glad you brought this up. It does feel like it was at least 2 composers because the dungeon work and the "named" ones are so very different in their composition even down to the technical aspects of panning, crescendos and decrescendos, etc. Just the way the songs are named is weird. The songs with the "named" style naming convention is more representative of how you'd name a song for the Roland MT-32 or Sound Canvas, while the other names are just numbers.

Addressing the Shop thing, yes, that's the new one. The old one I had the harpsichord muted accidentally and rendered it out that way. It's more punchy now. If that's not good enough I don't know what you want me to do. How can I make you happy? This soundtrack is for you.

I still haven't had a chance to address the Snow song issue with the sleigh bells (xmas is rough), and I also have this feeling like I'm missing something. Someone on Reddit said I'm missing the song that plays after the game ends but I can't seem to find what he's talking about. Any clues?
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:25 pm

I think the problem is that most people don't have a handy save of just before the end of the game. It's been two decades since I last finished Daggerfall.
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:10 am

Pieces of 8-bit wrote:Addressing the Shop thing, yes, that's the new one. The old one I had the harpsichord muted accidentally and rendered it out that way. It's more punchy now. If that's not good enough I don't know what you want me to do. How can I make you happy? This soundtrack is for you.

It's a great piece of work, but original one sounds less epic and more like market or medieval-inn-music and feels just appropriate and positive, while yours makes me think that I'm going to have fight there soon enough :D That's just personal feeling.

Return to “Music Project”