Dark Textures

Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Re: Dark Textures

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Maybe yes, but LimLam has already stated his plans so he's out of that picture.

I guess when the beta finally comes out some people will come back and then maybe the texture project can be raise up again, in the mean time we can do nothing but wait or keep working alone in our own stuff.

Yodog337 wrote:One thing that should remain firm is what resolution the community can agree on and also what or when is it suitable for bump mapping.

When I was working on textures it was intended for bump mapping, maybe when I resume that project maybe I can go fancy and make them with displacement map, if the XL Engine will support it.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Yodog337 wrote:One thing that should remain firm is what resolution the community can agree on

There shouldn't be a single resolution for all textures. Smaller objects, for instance, should typically have smaller textures, while textures that are made to be tiled (not just being tilable, there's a difference) can also be smaller. Then you also have things like detail maps, which can increase the apparent detail of a texture by tiling some specially-crafted noise over an otherwise low-res texture.

A more important metric for consistency is texel density. Two textures of the same size should roughly cover the same amount of surface area when applied to a model (or terrain), otherwise you end up with a blurry texture sitting next to a sharper texture despite them being the same resolution.
LimLam

Postby LimLam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 am

A 64x64 texture should be 256x256, while a 128x128 texture should be 512x512. That's what i go after. ;)

Return to “Texture Project”