The DaggerXL Texture Project (Dungeons)

Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: The DaggerXL Texture Project (Dungeons)

Postby Greendogo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:28 am

Page 20

StoneFrog wrote:I'm back! :D

PatchyPegleg wrote:Blah blah blah

TEXTURE

Crap that's good. That's really REALLY good. Now I don't want to resume work on my textures. I kid of course - so far, this style is my favorite. You've added in additional details in just the right places while keeping the overall graphic clean and focused.

Chef Boyardee wrote:That's a sweet texture and a sweet picture of Michael Cera in your avatar, Rhymer.

Rhymer wrote:
Chef Boyardee wrote:That's a sweet texture and a sweet picture of Michael Cera in your avatar, Rhymer.

It's a shame, but I don't know who Michael Cera is. It's me on my avatar, I've drawn this picture myself 3 years ago. You can compare:

Image Image

Bythemark wrote:imo the first texture, rhymer, looks really unrealistic. The sand is just way too transparent, it looks like it's floating. The second is nice though.

wheybags wrote:
Rhymer wrote:Looks nice, but a bit unnatural. Maybe something like this?
Image Image

Hot diggity damn, yes. But the second one needs these patches of brown dirt that I had, it differentiates it from another texture in the same folder. Feel absolutely free to over-write my stuff.

PatchyPegleg wrote:Bythemark good to hear you're still around. Looking forward to seeing how your coming along. :)

:) Stonefrog you are ever so kind, I have no idea how I whipped that up in an hour but I did. It was kind of on the fly, I was in the mood and hope to do another one soon.

Rhymer, it's a very nice photoshop job, it looks like a picture of a wind swept desert layed over a sandstone wall very skillfully. But I don't see what you were trying to show wheybags. The sand would not set the way you portrayed it in the crevasses of the wall, we have to keep in mind it is an exterior but that was entirely unnatural. And the bricks were photo-realistic and very skillfully placed and altered to resemble the original texture aside from the wear, but I don't see how wheybags can get any good feedback if you just post something really really nice looking. Do you care to elaborate how you would suggest he adjust his work :?:

Rhymer wrote:I'm sorry if my work offended someone, I just wanted to show that IMO using photo realistic textures and then making them closer to the original ones is better than repainting the originals.
I'm sorry for my posting again - it is just an old habit of mine: if I see something I really like and I now how to improve it - it is easier for me to do it myself.

Gez wrote:
PatchyPegleg wrote:The sand would not set the way you portrayed it in the crevasses of the wall

Indeed. If this was a floor texture, though (some sort of old cobbled street maybe?), then it'd work.

Bythemark wrote:Thanks patchy :). I'll just upload the whole folder somewhere and then work on my second claim when I get a chance.

Rhymer wrote:I'm sorry if my work offended someone, I just wanted to show that IMO using photo realistic textures and then making them closer to the original ones is better than repainting the originals.
I'm sorry for my posting again - it is just an old habit of mine: if I see something I really like and I now how to improve it - it is easier for me to do it myself.

Oh, it didn't offend me, if that's what you're talking about :P. It's high-quality work (I couldn't do it), I'm just a bit nit-picky with transparency.

PatchyPegleg wrote:
Rhymer wrote:I'm sorry if my work offended someone... ...I'm sorry for my posting again...

You don't have to apologize, and you're not forbidden from showing your face around here. :|

I really was just asking for a little insight on why you posted that texture in particular.
...if I see something I really like and I now how to improve it - it is easier for me to do it myself.

That's pretty much all I was digging for.
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:32 am

Page 21

PatchyPegleg wrote:*Big Front Page Update

Bythemark wrote:68 was done, 3-0 was a repeat that someone else has finished. I'll just find theirs and include it. Here it is http://img818.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=84785996.png. 0.24 work will begin soon, maybe when I get bored of Cave Story.

I love Cave Story...

Anyway, I'm probably going to do something different with .24, my method has changed a bit.

tesfanner wrote:Does this work with the new release of DaggerXL?

PatchyPegleg wrote:Yes tesfanner, the DFTexture file should work for any build. Unless Lucius makes some BIG changes.

tesfanner wrote:Downloading right now. Thanks mate.

PatchyPegleg wrote:No problem home fries. ;)

PatchyPegleg wrote:SCREEN SHOTS
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
thumbnail
I was just foolin' around! :P

(disco floor)
(old wood paneling)
(illuminating quartz cave wall)

jet800 wrote:well quartz looks really nice :)
can't say anything good or bad about wood, but floor is.. shit.

Gez wrote:Uh. I don't really like the quartz, but the wood texture is excellent.

Arctus wrote:The cave wall textures seem just too bright.
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:34 am

Page 22

AlexanderSig wrote:At the 3 posts above:

I was just foolin' around! :P

PatchyPegleg wrote:I can't believe you didn't like my disco floors man. :lol:

The wood texture was the only one I remembered to set the alpha levels on.\
:roll:
I tried sitting down to redo a brick texture from months back and got sidetracked.

luciusDXL wrote:The floor and ceiling textures look ... interesting (in a fooling around sort of way). Having some rocky surfaces with glowing moss or something could look cool though. :)

Bythemark wrote:At first I was like "Ice Cave!" and then I was like "huh?" and the I was like :mrgreen: and then I was like overused internet meme.

Anyway, I'm back doing work and stuff for my hobby stuffs, like flash games and this, so I might do a couple sometime soon from my old claims. Luckily(?) no one took them :P. Although I just bought Deus Ex and Super Meat Boy and some other stuffs in the Steam sale, so...we'll see how it goes :lol:

Stuffs.

Also, I think we should remove color support from DXL to create a more ambient atmosphere.

PatchyPegleg wrote:Crap...

In four days it will have been a year I've been modding Privateer's Hold and I'm still not done. I guess I qualify as the biggest procrastinator on the forum.

POST # 420 :mrgreen:
that's right, patchy tokes

Arctus wrote:Slacking off patchy! :lol:

PatchyPegleg wrote:POST # 420 :mrgreen:
that's right, patchy tokes

This would warrant a stoner slacker comment, if I didn't partake as well.

PatchyPegleg wrote:Arctus!!!!!
:lol:

You are officially my best friend on the forum. Get used to it.

klasodeth wrote:
PatchyPegleg wrote:Crap...

In four days it will have been a year I've been modding Privateer's Hold and I'm still not done. I guess I qualify as the biggest procrastinator on the forum.

Nope! I've definitely got you beat when it comes to procrastination.

PatchyPegleg wrote:
Nope! I've definitely got you beat when it comes to procrastination.

Care to explain Mr.?

BTW
I'm currently texturing! Huzzah!

PatchyPegleg wrote:AND A FAT DOUBLE POST
thumbnail
The above is the old, the bricks have random colors I don't like, but I want to keep that realistic oily clay look.
thumbnail
The above is the new, some spot have been desaturated, and it's been darkened and looks much better to me.

Crap I just remembered there's another brick texture I have to do this to. Crap. :x
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:35 am

Page 23

AlexanderSig wrote:
PatchyPegleg wrote:AND A FAT DOUBLE POST
(pics)

Crap I just remembered there's another brick texture I have to do this to. Crap. :x

Looks sweet brah, for some reason I feel the white part in the upper-left looks a bit too distinct for tiling (too different from the rest of the texture), when I look at I always notice that whole white pattern, perhaps you could add another, different white spot so it doesn't feel like "every white spot is the same".. (if that makes any sense)

Otherwise cool-io

PatchyPegleg wrote:BAM

Yup, that's me breaking off from the texture project. I need some freedom of the mind. I will now do whatever I want. If anyone want's to control/safeguard/manipulate/revise/modify the download, this thread, or anything that I took responsibility for, feel free to ask. I will copy/paste/email/help in any way I can.

I'm just gonna have fun with this and do whatever I please. :mrgreen:
ragholio

Postby ragholio » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 pm

After watching John Carmacks keynote at Quakecon, I cant help but dream of how awesome a game like daggerfall would look with MegaTexture (or what ever it's called). No more tiling textures.
Last edited by ragholio on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My original music | http://www.reverbnation.com/ramon |
Aliotroph?
Senior-Member

Postby Aliotroph? » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:05 am

ragholio wrote:After watching Dr. Carmacks keynote at Quakecon, I cant help but dream of how awesome a game like daggerfall would look with MegaTexture (or what ever it's called). No more tiling textures.

Dr Carmack? He dropped out of university! He's just stupidly good at what he does both because he is extremely intelligent and because he works his ass off when he finds something interesting to do.

Anyway, Daggerfall with mega-textured terrain sounds awesome, but how would it ever get built? How many man hours would it take to paint the whole game? This is something that would probably best be achieved after doing more with the rest of the content. For example, the addition of interesting geography (roads, rivers, mountains, etc). Big project! :D
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:36 am

Megatextures is something invented to kill off modding communities. When you need a hundred professional texture artists working as a full time job for six years to finish an area about the size of Vivec City in Morrowind, you know that the amateur modding community is never going to have the means to keep up with the quality of the base game.

Megatexturing Daggerfall? Don't make me laugh.
Lazaroth
Senior-Member

Postby Lazaroth » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Aliotroph? wrote:Dr Carmack?

He probably has a honorary doctorate somewhere. All you need is to be famous or have $$$$.

ragholio wrote:MegaTexture

I'd rather have this ;)
Freak2121
Voxelizer
Voxelizer

Postby Freak2121 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Lazaroth wrote:I'd rather have this ;)

Eh, Lucius and I don't like that.
They're taking voxels, slapping "UNLIMITED DETAIL" on top of it and then getting a shit load of publicity.
(DaggerXL could have voxel LODs)
Gez
Senior-Member

Postby Gez » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:17 am

To be honest, this "unlimited details" thing looks like a scam to me.

If you notice, they have well-detailed objects... which are copy-pasted everywhere. Because that way, all the objects in the scene can use the same representation in memory. Which makes the unlimited aspect laughably pointless. It's all very well and good that you have a game with an elephant statue where you can zoom in at the atomic level and see procedurally-generated stuff for it; but it's still a game that consists of a camera moving around an elephant statue. There could be twelve billion elephant statues, they're all clones of each other. You damage one? All others mimic the damage exactly because they share the same representation in memory.

It makes for pretty tech demo; but it's useless for games. You can't build a game out of looking at elephant statues.

The simple thing is that voxels are incredibly gluttonous. They gobble RAM like nothing else. They are, after all, 3D images. Take a 1024x1024 picture in RGBA: it takes up 1024x1024x4x8 bits in memory, or 4 megabytes. Now instead of a picture with pixels, make it a volume with voxels. 1024x1024x1024x4x8 = 4 gigabytes. Ouch!

Sure, there are ways to make voxel use up less memory. The approach generally used is through octal trees: you have a rough, low-detail three-dimensional grid (like, 2x2x2) and each of the blocks in that grid can be either entirely empty and stop here, entirely full and also stop here, or partly empty and partly full and then it has eight children in a 2x2x2 grid too. This approach is useful because it allows you to save some space in most cases and it also gives you a quick, built-in way to vary the level of detail by simply choosing the depth at which you stop going down the branches and instead just average a node from the values of its children. But doing so has a big disadvantage: the volumes can no longer be dynamically altered, unless you load them in full and recalculate them entirely. Which means either keeping the maximum level of detail quite low, and thereby renouncing any attempt at creating convincing "infinite details" from them; or dropping that idea and keeping voxels for static geometry.

This is the approach Carmack is taking for Idtech 6, the next engine after Rage and Doom 4. Static geometry such as terrain -- generally represented by height maps currently -- will be voxel, allowing to make cliffs and caves without having to use meshes for that. Everything dynamic as well as smaller but more varied static objects will stay as polygons.

Return to “Texture Project”