The DaggerXL Texture Project (NPC Portraits)

Angered Walrus
Junior-Member

Re: The DaggerXL Texture Project (NPC Portraits)

Postby Angered Walrus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:04 am

Thanks for sharing those - we all have full sets now :D

I've uploaded them to a folder on my Google Drive, so we at least have a mirror on a different host site.
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Downloaded, it is good to preserve Lutojar's brilliant work for the posterity, I'd wish to see more of his work some day.
Ceruulean
Lurker

Postby Ceruulean » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:48 pm

Hey guys, sorry for poofing. I've been enjoying a ton of other forms of entertainment, so I'm still not complete with Daggerfall's main quest, hehe. and I'm really bad at portraits so painting this was slow for me, and it's not nearly as nice as Lutojar's stuff.

This girl is from the Kynareth Temples:
Portrait 396

I hope the aspect ratio and long vs. square pixels isn't an issue at this size. I have a 1600x1600 version on my harddrive lol.

Please comment and state any criticisms!
Hadakajime

Postby Hadakajime » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm

that's a pretty good reconstruction!
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 am

Good job Ceruulean, maybe you could tweaks the eyes to replicate the same stare of the original.

I would recommend not to exaggerate with the upscale, your portrait is too big! With a lesser resolution you can have a better control over the image overall.
Blue Footed Booby

Postby Blue Footed Booby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:34 am

The thing that jumps out at me (aside from the different expression) is that the reconstruction has no makeup, while the original appears to have eyeliner and eyeshadow. Gives the portrait a very different "feel".

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Good job Ceruulean, maybe you could tweaks the eyes to replicate the same stare of the original.

I would recommend not to exaggerate with the upscale, your portrait is too big! With a lesser resolution you can have a better control over the image overall.

A lot of art-people draw huge and then scale down to minimize the effect of slightly wiggly lines and the visibility of brushstrokes, etc. This also lets them do entire pictures out of naturally-smooth course motor control "gestures." The final version that actually gets used in the game (or publication, or whatever else) is scaled down, but the original is frequently kept at its full resolution so they aren't SOL if somewhere down the line the devs want to do a higher-resolution re-release (eg Skyrim's official hi def texture mod), or the art director wants modifications, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not an artist, I just read a lot about the game industry, art stuff, and various other fields far removed from my crushingly mundane existence.
Ceruulean
Lurker

Postby Ceruulean » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks guys! I knew i was forgetting something: the makeup. I do think the expression is a little off, and I rushed a bit so I'll fix everything when I have time.

I work big because it gives greater control, not less. Yeah, it looks super huge but at least you can scale down. Next time I'll post a smaller version which should be easier to see.

Return to “Texture Project”