The DaggerXL Texture Project (NPC Portraits)

AlKhwarizmi
Junior-Member

Re: The DaggerXL Texture Project (NPC Portraits)

Postby AlKhwarizmi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 am

I agree that you should use your own style, I like these drawings very much.
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I think Klaso nailed it -- your style is closer to the original mid 90's fantasy stylings that influenced Daggerfall's art direction (inconsistent though it may have been). And it's damn good!

Mr. Lutojar has, no doubt, a life. So while he's busy with that, why not tackle the remainder of the portrait list? While not all of matching style, it would at least have all of them covered at least once, which is better than covering some twice but others not at all. There is no inherent competition between your works as they do lend themselves to different philosophies in remaking assets. Lutojar can complete what he hasn't yet done when he has time, and meanwhile you can continue to strut your own stuff. I think we'd all like to see that!
Janus

Postby Janus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Brendan_ wrote:I think Klaso nailed it -- your style is closer to the original mid 90's fantasy stylings that influenced Daggerfall's art direction (inconsistent though it may have been). And it's damn good!

Mr. Lutojar has, no doubt, a life. So while he's busy with that, why not tackle the remainder of the portrait list? While not all of matching style, it would at least have all of them covered at least once, which is better than covering some twice but others not at all. There is no inherent competition between your works as they do lend themselves to different philosophies in remaking assets. Lutojar can complete what he hasn't yet done when he has time, and meanwhile you can continue to strut your own stuff. I think we'd all like to see that!

Exactly this. Both bring something to the table.
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 am

Instead of redrawing portraits the player rarely ever sees, why not redrawing some of the default npc pics? They probably don't have to be as detailed as the already presented ones, but imo they would be more prominent in regular gameplay and thus more important.
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:18 pm

greenlight wrote:Instead of redrawing portraits the player rarely ever sees, why not redrawing some of the default npc pics? They probably don't have to be as detailed as the already presented ones, but imo they would be more prominent in regular gameplay and thus more important.

Hey, keen thinking there! That would be a higher-value use of his time. Plus, the difference in these two artists' styles is less immersion breaking with the implied explanation that these NPCs lutojar has been drawing are special, unique characters, distinct from the more generic masses. Otherwise we have some unique characters drawn one way, others another, but no apparent reason for the difference (assuming lutojar's and madwort's art being used in the same mod).
And since many of the "different" faces just have different colored hoods and such layered paperdoll over the same face, you could actually churn them out at a slightly faster clip.
madwort
Lurker

Postby madwort » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:41 am

Hey, thanks for the feedback everyone! Jet800 - I'll fix up the dots, it's a texture so it was something I actually didn't even pay attention to.

Redoing the commoners sounds like a fun project, there are quite a few of them (around 500): Image

I'll have to take a closer look and figure out the easiest way to do it. Some sort of "paper doll" would probably work. I'll just have to draw the different parts of the face separately.

Buut speaking of paper dolls - is anyone doing the items for the inventory? I think someone was said they're going to draw the armors but if not, that'd be an interesting little project too.
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 pm

No active work have been done on items in past year or so AFAICR.
madwort
Lurker

Postby madwort » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 am

I did a small experiment with the paper doll face for the commoners. Here are a few variations:

Right now there are 4 different jaws and 7 different mouths, noses, brows, hair and facial hair, 5 pairs of eyes. You can just build the face and I guess there are a lot of possible outcomes. The hair and skin color are easy to change. I tried to use the original shapes and styles which is why they look quite cartoonish (I like the original Daggerfall style). Adding a hood and the shirt wouldn't be a big job either. Obviously for the finished portraits I'd also fix the color of the eyes and perhaps give the lips some color. Drawing the hairy parts takes a little while but otherwise these are very quick to do.
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 am

That's... awesome! :)
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 am

Wow, great work!
As I already said, the random NPC portraits don't have to be that detailed or at incredibly high resolutions, the ones you drew are just fine.
Maybe with a mod DaggerXL could generate faces on it's own based on seperate parts of the face.
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...

Return to “Texture Project”