The DaggerXL Texture Project (General Discussion)

jet800
Senior-Member

Re: The DaggerXL Texture Project (General Discussion)

Postby jet800 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 am

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Anyway, if some moderator thinks it would be better to move my posts to that thread, it's fine for me (or if it allowed to me to create my own updated thread on the subject it would be ok for me too).

Just to make things well organized and easy-to-find. You're sure have right to create separate thread if you think it's better idea. My point is this thread is too cumbered.
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 am

You deserve the compliments, especially for a first attempt at this kind of thing! It's very detailed work. While I have seen obvious tiling and texture repetition in GUIs of Daggerfall's era, it's a prominent flaw in PsY4's work (seemingly now abandoned) which isn't to be found in yours.
It can be a challenge keeping the stone texture of high quality while simulating changes in depth, adding cracks, etc.; but that's what it takes to do Daggerfall justice.
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 am

Thank again Brendan, I appreciate it.

I've already created a thread to work this as a personal project, I will be looking for critiques and advices as the project progresses.
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:08 pm

jet800 wrote:Okay, ppl, you could get C.H.'s textures from:
http://jet800.mine.nu/dxl_textures/Dagg ... 2011-201x/
or
ftp://jet800.mine.nu/DaggerXL%20ftp-upload2011-201x/

P.S.: If anyone interested in uploading textures - PM me I'll create ftp account for you.
P.P.S.: please note, although uptime of my server is usually near 99.9% it could be down while I'm upgrading software, have power failures or my provider experiences issues. Be patient in this case. In case of any troubles - PM me. Or add me in jabber - Image.

I've decided to purchase a proper domain name. So here is updated links:
ftp://ftp.jet800.net/DaggerXL%20ftp-upload2011-201x/
http://www.jet800.net/dxl_textures/Dagg ... 2011-201x/

Old links should remain valid for month or so.

P.S.: if you had recently encountered a 403 error - that's my fault, sorry, misconfigured Apache :(
Brendan_
Senior-Member

Postby Brendan_ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Many thanks, jet; you've done the community a solid!
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:39 am

Today I was playing with blender and I suddenly thought about displacement map, and I thought that if some day a source port for Daggerfall do come out, and if it supports some kind of displacement maps for textures, we could fake extra geometry with height maps.

So just for fun, I took a texture and remade it to play with the idea a bit, fortunately a page called Depthy turned out to be very handy for this:

Looks a bit shitty but you know, it's just a prove of concept...
jman0war
Junior-Member

Postby jman0war » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 am

Has anybody been capturing these texture contributions in some online repository?

I'm wondering is this a case where people (myself included back in 2011) would post their progress, but then later disappear from the forums and their work with them?

jet800's site isn't working, does that mean any contributions uploaded hereto are dust?

Has anybody been directing contributers to Daggerfall Unity?
C.H_backup
Lurker

Postby C.H_backup » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Phobos Anomaly wrote:Today I was playing with blender and I suddenly thought about displacement map, and I thought that if some day a source port for Daggerfall do come out, and if it supports some kind of displacement maps for textures, we could fake extra geometry with height maps.

So just for fun, I took a texture and remade it to play with the idea a bit, fortunately a page called Depthy turned out to be very handy for this:

Looks a bit shitty but you know, it's just a prove of concept...

That would be interesting to see in-game. Not sure how it would work out with lighting, but I don't know jack about how displacement maps are implemented.
Late response, should have answered long ago.
- C.H.
C.H_backup
Lurker

Postby C.H_backup » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:50 pm

jman0war wrote:Has anybody been capturing these texture contributions in some online repository?

I'm wondering is this a case where people (myself included back in 2011) would post their progress, but then later disappear from the forums and their work with them?

jet800's site isn't working, does that mean any contributions uploaded hereto are dust?

Has anybody been directing contributers to Daggerfall Unity?

Hi. Been meaning to reply more often but I've been unable to log in for, like, at least a year, hence this new profile. :'D It's only natural for most artists to move on when a project does not mature or "bear fruit", I think. I don't know what else was uploaded to jet800's server, but my texture pack, including original photos, are at least intact on my end (offline), for what it's worth. Tbh, I don't think my work has the quality to be used for other than really low-res work, and that's after some style / palette editing.

Who knows what will ultimately become of the XL Engine projects? I for one know that life can be demanding when you have to make results & deliver on several projects at once -- hobbies tend to be... down-prioritized, so I totally sympathize with Lucius in that regard. Still; it would have been fine to hear --something-- more often than in the past 2-3 years. I get that there might not be anything to update us on, but if he could have at least just passed by every so often, heck even automated something for less effort, then it could have kept the community more together than it currently is. There has been arguing and much frustration in some other threads.

Is other art made for DaggerXL is still available? It would indeed be nice to see it all backed up to an online repository, though someone needs to do it, should take some time to go through the threads.
- C.H.
tyhender
Poster

Postby tyhender » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:27 am

jet800.net is fucked up. Just so you know.

Return to “Texture Project”