The DaggerXL Texture Project (General Discussion)

AlexanderSig

The DaggerXL Texture Project (General Discussion)

Postby AlexanderSig » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 am

Just importing the old topic by Stonefrog:

The DaggerXL Texture Project
Overview & Village Pump
(Formerly the "Medium-Res Texture Pack")

This thread contains the general goals and directive of the project, as well as rough guidelines and suggestions for the contributors. General discussion of the texture creation process and theory (i.e. impressionistic and painterly vs photorealistic) may be spoken of here, and those interested in joining the effort may post their early mockups here to receive constructive criticism. If you are looking to follow more intrinsic progress of the individual artists, check the associated subthreads.

Overview
As DaggerXL continues to develop at an amazing pace, Lucius continues to point out the modding possibilities that will await us. Taking advantage of the higher resolutions the program will provide, a great deal of modders are seeking to bring Daggerfall into the 21st century with 3D models and the like. Perhaps the first thing on the agenda in renewing the game's graphics is the textures. Face it, Bethesda's art assets will not hold up too well at higher resolutions. :roll:

All this project intends to do is create replacements (usually 4x) the size of every pre-existing texture in the game, which gives just enough working space to remaster them into a more presentable form, whilst retaining an authentic Daggerfall feeling. There are some exceptions, dictated through common sense - for instance, a floor tile should not be larger than a wall texture. Overall, no individual texture should go beyond 1024, nor under 256, in either dimension.

Details and shading will be added, and some degree of artistic license is encouraged (new details and personal touches on the textures), but in the end, these textures aim to be relatively faithful to their 1996 counterparts.

My current envisioning for the usage of these textures is for DaggerXL when it runs upwards of, well, anything beyond the original 320x200 native resolution. We're considering releasing the pack in various sizes for those with lower/higher end hardware and smaller/larger displays, respectively.

Goals
But wait - won't this split of the work result in some inconsistency? No worries! That's kind of the point. In homage to the Morrowind Visual Pack, every artist is encouraged to design textures using their own style and design process. A quality control pass could be done later on, but that's not the point. The point of this project is to make Daggerfall more presentable for the coming of DaggerXL, while still remaining true to its original incarnation. Oh, and for us to have fun while doing it! :)

Artist Guidelines

• Quadruple resolution. Obviously, all the original textures are to be made at this size, at least, on average.
  • The floor exception. Most floor textures can be made at 8x resolution (usually giving overall dimensions of 512x512) if the artist wishes, as the player's attention is often diverted to these and the ceilings so the extra quality can't hurt.
  • Realistically colored wood. For the umpteenth time, I don't care if the wood in the originals looked like a cross-section of a carrot! I'm attributing it to palette constraints that the original artists had to face, and that we do not. Stop nagging about this (few of you have, this is just in preparation), go for a Gunstock stain or something.
  • Avoiding obvious tiling. I won't pester you on this, but one must remember that the texture panels in Daggerfall seldom appear infrequently, and usually will tile >9000 times in a single location. Try to avoid giant cracks shaped like Abraham Lincoln or other distinct markings.
  • Have fun! I had to say it to negate the previous points' connotating me as having abnormally strict holdings on the lot of you. :P

Old thread: http://daggerxl.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=94
Last edited by AlexanderSig on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragholio

Re: The DaggerXL Texture Project (General Discussion)

Postby ragholio » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Thought I'd grab this from the old thread so it doesn't go unoticed with everyone switching to this new forum:

Postby ragholio » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:01 am
I've made a door pack if anyones interested. It contains all doors except for dungeon entrances:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sc18bz4ewy6m5qk

Just download the above .rar and place the Doors folder in the Misc folder of the texture pack. Then add the following lines into the //Misc section of your TextureReplacers.txt:

Replace:
[TEXTURE.056][1][Misc\doortemp2.tga]
[TEXTURE.056][2][Misc\doortemp.tga]

With these:
[TEXTURE.056][1][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.074\3-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.056][2][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.474\3-0.tga]

Add these:

[TEXTURE.474][0][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.474\0-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.474][1][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.474\1-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.474][2][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.474\2-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.474][3][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.474\3-0.tga]

[TEXTURE.374][0][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.374\0-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.374][1][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.374\1-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.374][2][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.374\2-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.374][3][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.374\3-0.tga]

[TEXTURE.074][0][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.074\0-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.074][1][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.074\1-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.074][2][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.074\2-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.074][3][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.074\3-0.tga]

[TEXTURE.332][0][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.332\0-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.332][1][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.332\1-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.332][2][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.332\2-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.332][3][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.332\3-0.tga]

[TEXTURE.174][0][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.174\0-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.174][1][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.174\1-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.174][2][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.174\2-0.tga]
[TEXTURE.174][3][Misc\Doors\TEXTURE.174\3-0.tga]

some previews:

They are currently 512x1024 but feel free to reduce them to 256x512 if you cant handle the hires :P
My original music | http://www.reverbnation.com/ramon |
Klasodeth
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Klasodeth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I plan to quote the entire thread over here over the next few days. For the time being, discussion should continue in the old thread over at DaggerXL. I'll lock this thread for the time being. Once I've finished porting over the old thread, I'll unlock this one and lock the old thread. This way, it avoids having to look both places for the discussion, as well as making sure the topic doesn't turn into two separate conversations.
I'm frequently online in the #xlengine.projects channel at irc.freenode.net as Klasodeth, Klaso, or KLA.
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:57 am

Page 1

StoneFrog wrote:The DaggerXL Texture Project
Overview & Village Pump
(Formerly the "Medium-Res Texture Pack")

This thread contains the general goals and directive of the project, as well as rough guidelines and suggestions for the contributors. General discussion of the texture creation process and theory (i.e. impressionistic and painterly vs photorealistic) may be spoken of here, and those interested in joining the effort may post their early mockups here to receive constructive criticism. If you are looking to follow more intrinsic progress of the individual artists, check the associated subthreads.

Overview
As DaggerXL continues to develop at an amazing pace, Lucius continues to point out the modding possibilities that will await us. Taking advantage of the higher resolutions the program will provide, a great deal of modders are seeking to bring Daggerfall into the 21st century with 3D models and the like. Perhaps the first thing on the agenda in renewing the game's graphics is the textures. Face it, Bethesda's art assets will not hold up too well at higher resolutions. :roll:

All this project intends to do is create replacements (usually 4x) the size of every pre-existing texture in the game, which gives just enough working space to remaster them into a more presentable form, whilst retaining an authentic Daggerfall feeling. There are some exceptions, dictated through common sense - for instance, a floor tile should not be larger than a wall texture. Overall, no individual texture should go beyond 1024, nor under 256, in either dimension.

Details and shading will be added, and some degree of artistic license is encouraged (new details and personal touches on the textures), but in the end, these textures aim to be relatively faithful to their 1996 counterparts.

My current envisioning for the usage of these textures is for DaggerXL when it runs upwards of, well, anything beyond the original 320x200 native resolution. We're considering releasing the pack in various sizes for those with lower/higher end hardware and smaller/larger displays, respectively.

Goals
But wait - won't this split of the work result in some inconsistency? No worries! That's kind of the point. In homage to the Morrowind Visual Pack, every artist is encouraged to design textures using their own style and design process. A quality control pass could be done later on, but that's not the point. The point of this project is to make Daggerfall more presentable for the coming of DaggerXL, while still remaining true to its original incarnation. Oh, and for us to have fun while doing it! :)

Artist Guidelines
  • Quadruple resolution. Obviously, all the original textures are to be made at this size, at least, on average.
  • The floor exception. Most floor textures can be made at 8x resolution (usually giving overall dimensions of 512x512) if the artist wishes, as the player's attention is often diverted to these and the ceilings so the extra quality can't hurt.
  • Realistically colored wood. For the umpteenth time, I don't care if the wood in the originals looked like a cross-section of a carrot! I'm attributing it to palette constraints that the original artists had to face, and that we do not. Stop nagging about this (few of you have, this is just in preparation), go for a Gunstock stain or something.
  • Avoiding obvious tiling. I won't pester you on this, but one must remember that the texture panels in Daggerfall seldom appear infrequently, and usually will tile >9000 times in a single location. Try to avoid giant cracks shaped like Abraham Lincoln or other distinct markings.
  • Have fun! I had to say it to negate the previous points' connotating me as having abnormally strict holdings on the lot of you. :P

Levethian wrote:Thanks StoneFrog, Interkama's Imager looks to be really useful :D
(as before http://www.dfworkshop.net/?page_id=78)
I'll play around and post if I manage to do something that isn't entirely embarrassing :mrgreen:

luciusDXL wrote:Good luck, I'll give you guys whatever support I can (within reason of course). Please read this topic again to understand what the next build will support as well as texture creation information you'll need to know.

StoneFrog wrote:Thanks, Lucius. Until we get a sizeable increase in modders (which probably won't happen until DaggerXL makes more progress, which I'm glad to see it is) though, don't expect anything major. Your additions to the next demo will probably accomodate two of us. :lol: Who knows how many man-years this will take to do, but it can never be too early with a task this monumental.

Best of luck, Levethian. Again, I'm making all my textures double the size of their originals, I'm looking forward to see what improvements you can make to the originals. My castle ones are done from scratch, but I did upscale the original texture and constantly use it as reference.

Levethian wrote:Texture.006, these aren't from scratch :? - enlarged, new texture transformed to fit, duplicated, offset + lightened, different texture multiplied, then layer properties & opacities amended. Double size (128x256) as advised. Is this the right direction?

Curious to see all the textures that weren't used. :geek:

(From 'DXL Mod Sub-forum' thread)
StoneFrog wrote:Sounds easy to grasp and still very effective.

Yeees...
After I copy the textures into CS2, what format should I save them as once finished? :)
Total newbie in creating textures for games.

Gez wrote:TGA (aka TARGA or Truevision TGA).

Taemos wrote:
Levethian wrote:Total newbie in creating textures for games.

It doesn't show. Those look amazing.

If I my school schedule allows for it I'll try extracting and playing with some of these textures to see what I can do.

StoneFrog wrote:Excellent work! Keep it up. :D

...and yeah, I go back to school in roughly 2 1/2 weeks. Will probably be a major shock to my system (getting my very first AP courses this year), but I'll try to keep managing this.

Levethian wrote:Thanks Taemos & StoneFrog :D
I'll also do my best to make time for this - and let me know if I'm doing something wrong!
I note that the original textures are fairly low on contrast and saturation - should I keep them quite similar?

luciusDXL wrote:Nice job. A few precautions - make sure that the grey windows stay grey and alpha = 255 (so that the window color changes work), also make sure that your wall textures tile vertically as well as horizontally (where appropriate of course). The new textures certainly look sharper and more detailed then the originals. I think using the original textures as a base was a good idea. :)
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:59 am

Page 2

Levethian wrote:Will do, thanks :)

EDIT: Actually, I'm not certain what 'alpha' is - can I simply keep them the same colour as the original textures? :mrgreen:

StoneFrog wrote:Whenever you can Levethian, make the contrast as realistic as possible. You'll notice that my exterior walls for Castle Daggerfall are lot crisper and have more contrast than the original. Lots of the bricks in Daggerfall look really dusty/pasty - just keep doing what you're doing now, I like it!

EDIT: Remember to make sure they're tileable! Especially the "detail" overlays you may use - put them in a different document and offset them, clone stamp out any seams.

Levethian wrote:Taken on board :)

Daethar wrote:I like what you've done, guys. Great work, Levethian.

One suggestion is to try to improve the perfect "cut" look on the edges of the windows, the larger bricks, and where there are tears in the... whatever the outer layer of the buildings is called.
You've done such a good job in making the actual bricks in images 1-3 not uniform, but at the windows there are perfect edges. For the windows, that's fine, but it looks odd that suddenly the bricks are so uniform and perfectly done on one edge.

Not sure if that's feasible with how you are doing the filtering. If it isn't really possible, nevermind then, because for the most part your modifications are superb and very pleasing to look at.

StoneFrog wrote:Slow day today. Started working on Castle Daggerfall's interiors, the tile is from scratch, but I "borrowed" the original wood texture as a base in the new one (specifically for the "planks" in the middle).

Levethian wrote:I agree with your comments Daethar - we should eliminate 'perfect edges' where appropriate. :P

EDIT: Edges twiddled.
I'm still really unsure how to retain window functionality & keep alpha=255. Which bit is alpha? :oops:
(image removed)

More.

StoneFrog wrote:Maybe you're supposed to define the window with an alpha channel?

luciusDXL wrote:All values below are for the alpha channel.

For solid exterior textures, the window should have an alpha of 255, normal opaque parts should have an alpha of 128.
For flats, 255 = full bright, 128 = opaque, 0 = transparent. 1-127 => partially transparent/translucent. 129-254 => partially self-illuminated.
Interior textures may also have multiple levels of self-illumination (129-255).

Does that help at all?

klasodeth wrote:
Levethian wrote:...I'm still really unsure how to retain window functionality & keep alpha=255. Which bit is alpha? :oops: ...

That fact that you are unsure about your alpha channel means it's a safe bet you didn't create one in the first place. It looks like you're using PhotoShop, which allows you to create additional channels for your image. At the bottom of the Channels window, there's a button you can click to create a new channel, which by default is created as Alpha 1.

Interkarma wrote:Those enhanced textures look fantastic! I can't wait to see DaggerXL running with these beautiful textures in place.
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:03 am

Page 3

Levethian wrote:Thanks Interkama, hopefully we'll get through them. Thank goodness for your texture viewer, really. :D

StoneFrog wrote:Maybe you're supposed to define the window with an alpha channel?

Aahh.. (penny drops).

luciusDXL wrote:All values below are for the alpha channel.

For solid exterior textures, the window should have an alpha of 255, normal opaque parts should have an alpha of 128.
For flats, 255 = full bright, 128 = opaque, 0 = transparent. 1-127 => partially transparent/translucent. 129-254 => partially self-illuminated.
Interior textures may also have multiple levels of self-illumination (129-255).

Does that help at all?

That makes perfect sense, as soon as I work out how to assign values for the alpha channel :mrgreen:

klasodeth wrote:That fact that you are unsure about your alpha channel means it's a safe bet you didn't create one in the first place. It looks like you're using PhotoShop, which allows you to create additional channels for your image. At the bottom of the Channels window, there's a button you can click to create a new channel, which by default is created as Alpha 1.

How does this look? I still can't see where to apply the 0-255 alpha value. I can make alpha 1 white (RGB all 255)...

VinWij wrote:Those new textures look absolutely great. Especially because they retain the daggerfall-feel...

Could anyone indicate how many textures are present in daggerfall?

Levethian wrote:
VinWij wrote:Could anyone indicate how many textures are present in daggerfall?

I prefer not to think about it! :)
There are 510 texture files, it appears they each contain between 4-110 flats, textures or gifs - and I'd think most need a going-over.

So at least hundreds of textures, perhaps thousands - someone else may know with more certainty. Many are repeated variants on a theme (some with snow & without, with cracking & without etc), so hopefully will benefit from cannibalism and copy/pasting ;)

luciusDXL wrote:You almost have it. The windows should be full white in the alpha channel and everything else should be middle grey (128). 255 = full white, 128 = middle grey, 0 = black. Sorry this is so confusing. :?

klasodeth wrote:
Levethian wrote:...How does this look? I still can't see where to apply the 0-255 alpha value. I can make alpha 1 white (RGB all 255)...

The alpha channel is nothing more than a gray-scale image. The alpha values are just shades of gray painted into your alpha channel. As per lucius' color requirements, to get middle gray, just go to the color picker and set all three RGB values to 128. To get white, set all three RGB values to 255. For black, set all three RGB values to 0.

A quicker way to choose various levels of gray (at the cost of some precision) is to use HSB instead of RGB. In the color picker, you'll see the Hue, Saturation, and Brightness values right above the RGB values. For HSB, just make sure that Hue (H) and Saturation (S) are set at 0. Then for Brightness (B) you can just type in percentage values. It's a slightly quicker way to get certain shades, as black is 0%, middle gray is 50%, and white is 100%.

Edit: I apologize for going into what is probably too much detail about the color picker. Based on the work you've already done you're probably quite familiar with how it works but I decided not to assume anything.

Levethian wrote:
luciusDXL wrote:You almost have it. The windows should be full white in the alpha channel and everything else should be middle grey (128). 255 = full white, 128 = middle grey, 0 = black. Sorry this is so confusing. :?

I think I've (finally) got it. I'll upload a screenshot to make certain once I get it amended :idea:

klasodeth wrote:I decided not to assume anything.

It's the best approach :mrgreen: - I understand it now.

Thanks for guiding me through this!

Ghost Line wrote:You're doing great job, pal ^^ I think I join for the ground textures, in a near future :)

Levethian wrote:Hope this is it - there are 2 layers, background black, alpha layer has been set completely transparent but at 128/255 values specified. Am I there yet?
And this gets saved as a 32-bit TGA, I think?

klasodeth wrote:Color-wise, your alpha channel looks like it's exactly what you need. What do you mean when you say your alpha layer has been set completely transparent? There should be no need for something like that with the alpha channel. Under normal circumstances, having the RGB channels selected will show the normal image. Clicking any individual color channel or the alpha channel should display a gray-scale image representing the intensity of any pixel associated with that channel. If you click the RGB channel,then hold down [SHIFT] while clicking on the alpha channel, you should see your image, but with a reddish overlay that represents your alpha channel.

If you click on your alpha channel, then click on the square to the left of the RGB channels to turn on visibility, you'll get the same reddish overlay, except that you'll be able to paint in your alpha channel without affecting the RGB layers. Even though it will appear as shades of translucent red, you'll still actually be working in gray-scale. If you turn off the visibility on the RGB channels, your alpha channel will instantly revert to its normal gray-scale appearance. When done working with the alpha channel, you can select your RGB channels and turn off visibility if needed in order to see your image as normal.

And yes, you'll want to save it out as a 32-bit image.

Chef Boyardee wrote:Hey, I just wanted to say I think these textures look great and I can't wait to see them in-game. Great work guys.
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:04 am

Page 4

jute wrote:
Levethian wrote:
VinWij wrote:Could anyone indicate how many textures are present in daggerfall?

I prefer not to think about it! :)
There are 510 texture files, it appears they each contain between 4-110 flats, textures or gifs - and I'd think most need a going-over.

So at least hundreds of textures, perhaps thousands - someone else may know with more certainty. Many are repeated variants on a theme (some with snow & without, with cracking & without etc), so hopefully will benefit from cannibalism and copy/pasting ;)

By my count, there are 279 folders containing wall and floor/ground textures, with a total of 2,316 individual image files. However, some of these are exact duplicates: compare the contents of TEXTURE.307 and TEXTURE.308, for instance, or 302 and 304. And as you've said, many other textures are simple variations.

StoneFrog wrote:Right now, I'd say that all building-related textures are the main priority. Terrain and dungeons come later.

Levethian wrote:
klasodeth wrote:When done working with the alpha channel, you can select your RGB channels and turn off visibility if needed in order to see your image as normal.

Thanks - The alpha layer reverts to its gray state, its true, but I don't want a darkening overlay at all when trying to get the brightness/contrast/saturation correct.

Double-clicking on the Alpha layer reveals options to change the layer name, offers three tick-boxes, and a box with the colour & 'opacity' setting, which I set to 0% s I wouldn't see the overlay. The default was 50%. Is this a mistake?

No time to get more done today :(

My Eking-i1 has arrived, yet to see if DXL will work on it... :shock:

klasodeth wrote:
Levethian wrote:
klasodeth wrote:When done working with the alpha channel, you can select your RGB channels and turn off visibility if needed in order to see your image as normal.

Thanks - The alpha layer reverts to its gray state, its true, but I don't want a darkening overlay at all when trying to get the brightness/contrast/saturation correct.

Double-clicking on the Alpha layer reveals options to change the layer name, offers three tick-boxes, and a box with the colour & 'opacity' setting, which I set to 0% s I wouldn't see the overlay. The default was 50%. Is this a mistake?

No time to get more done today :(

My Eking-i1 has arrived, yet to see if DXL will work on it... :shock:

That won't affect the final image, but it seems to be a cumbersome way of hiding the alpha channel. The color and opacity settings for the alpha channel are there for the purpose of choosing color and opacity settings that make it easy to see both the underlying image and the alpha channel while working on the alpha channel. By setting opacity to 0%, what you're doing is setting the alpha channel up so that you can never see it against your RGB channels, meaning that you can't easily verify that your alpha channel is lined up with the RGB channels. Hiding the alpha channel is as simple as clicking the square to the left of the alpha channel so that the little eye in the box disappears. When you want to see it again, click the box so that the eye reappears. Of course, you won't see any actual change until you bring the opacity back up on your alpha channel so that there's actually something to see when you turn visibility back on for the alpha channel. For working with brightness, contrast, and saturation, just make sure you have only the RGB channels selected, and just uncheck visibility on the alpha channel. Showing and hiding the alpha channel by clicking the visibility check-box is much quicker and more convenient that having to double-click the alpha channel and manually typing in an opacity setting.

Levethian wrote:
klasodeth wrote:That won't affect the final image

Levethian wrote:My Eking-i1 has arrived, yet to see if DXL will work on it... :shock:

'It's Daggerfall'
'How demanding can it be?' I thought.
Ha! :twisted:
No chance - it works, but at about 2-3 fps :lol:

Arctus wrote:DaggerXL just keeps getting better and better :D

RyuRanX wrote:I really loved those new textures! Normally I don't like retexturization projects because people use totally diferent textures, making the game looks completally different from the original. :mrgreen:

klasodeth wrote:Levethian, now that the alpha channel has been sorted out, I can't wait to see some more of your outstanding work! I have to say I'm impressed with the results you've been getting so far. I think you're doing a great job of preserving the look of Daggerfall while wringing quite a bit of extra detail out of those textures. :D

Levethian wrote:
klasodeth wrote:...while wringing quite a bit of extra detail out of those textures. :D

RyuRanX wrote:... people use totally diferent textures, making the game looks completally different from the original.

Thanks for the comments - hopefully StoneFrog and I will get through the more commonly-seen textures reasonably soon. Geologically speaking.

It should be said that I am using completely different textures :mrgreen: - but merely keeping the originals as a strict base / backdrop and making sure the new overlays are as appropriate as possible. I'll hopefully get more done this afternoon.

StoneFrog wrote:I don't use the originals as a "base" but use them as reference to ensure everything from the width of a wooden beam to the spacing between floor tiles is relatively accurate. The stone arch wall in Castle Daggerfall is a real pain and I'm not sure how I want to proceed with making it yet. :geek:

In the meantime, I think I may start making the tavern exterior textures.

EDIT: It has begun!

Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:07 am

Page 5

Levethian wrote:Thats really nice StoneFrog :P

I thought it best to keep a record of what I've done so that there's no overlap.
16, 17, 18, 26 & 27 today, which totals 38 of 2,316 :mrgreen:

006 = all
009 = 0,1,3
012 = all
013 = all
014 = all
015 = all
016 = all
017 = all
018 = all
026 = all
027 = all

StoneFrog wrote:Quite an impressive amount of work done then! When it comes down to actual texture files I'd say I've finished...three? :lol:

Just keep working on the desert architecture, I'll finish up the castles and taverns for now. If you want, I could make an impromptu texture index and upload it to some website somewhere - just to keep track of every texture file and who's done what.

Ghost Line wrote:After *some* corrections :

Gez wrote:Try to adjust hue/saturation so that it's the same tint of green for both.

StoneFrog wrote:Welcome aboard, Ghost Line! ;)

Try to add a few lighter/darker patches throughout just for more variety like the way the original is done. I wouldn't say that all textures have to be exactly as bright/dark/saturated/desaturated as their originals, as some of Daggerfall's are very oddly lit.

I am proud to present the fully completed (more or less) tavern wall set!

Still need to make some tweaks so that each piece can tile with the other (that's four pieces that have to be compatible with three others on both sides). However,it's coming along nicely. Anybody have any suggestions for increasing the detail of the ivy (couldn't be bothered to make new ivy)? I overlaid some cruddy plant veins on top of them, but it looks pretentious.

Levethian wrote:I'm not sure the original grass is all that patchy(?) - your grass looks more patchy when cropped to 128x128 :). Can't patches present a danger of looking artificial if obviously repeated?

That's really nice StoneFrog - you're much more careful and detailed than I am with these! I think the Ivy looks good. :D

I'm trying to get through them fast, and to keep them as similar to DF as possible. I figure I'll spend more time when working on larger textures, but your extra efforts are warranted for such important textures such as those that you're doing.

Ghost Line wrote:TEXTURE.302

0-0

1-0

2-0

3-0

46-0

47-0

55-0

StoneFrog wrote:Keep it up. You may want to give a bit more depth to the flaky things on the dirt/sand texture though. It's so low res I'm not sure if the lumps are meant to be rocks or bits of chipped, dried mud, but I think they should have a bit more shading to them.

So Ghost Line, I can basically put you down for working on terrain?

Ghost Line wrote:Yes sir, you can :) for now, I'm working on TEXTURE.302, the ground pack texture for the region of Daggerfall ^^

Edit : "I think they should have a bit more shading to them."

I've tried, but my skill in Photo****p is soooo weak ...

Edit2 : I've almost finished the base textures of this pack : next is the mix of all of them ... let's hope it's piece of cake (but I know myself, it might not be that easy :ugeek: )

Greendogo wrote:Just an idea, but when you guys get enough textures done, perhaps all the external textures you might run across in the city of Daggerfall or some other place, maybe you should do a showcase to show off what Daggerfall would look like with the redone textures. Maybe a movie like Lucius did for the last blog post? I think Lucius said you'd be able to put the textures in game when he gets done with the next demo, right?
Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:09 am

Page 6

luciusDXL wrote:That's a great idea, Greendogo. Yes you'll be able to see the new textures in Demo 2, I'd like very much to see how the textures will look in the actual environments. :)

I'd be happy to showcase everone's efforts on the blog once we can see them in the game.

Ghost Line wrote:I'd like it too, to see if the photorealistic look I've adopted fit ...

Levethian wrote:They should look fine Ghost Line :)

Good idea though - the completed textures should probably be kept in one place for mass-testing and demonstration in a single video. Should we send the TGA textures to you, StoneFrog, so you can test them (& perform minor amendments if required)?

Couldn't do any yesterday.
028, 038, 039, 040 done this morning.
Working on 042, 043, 044, 064, 065, 066

Greendogo wrote:You're a machine man! Keep at it!

StoneFrog wrote:
Levethian wrote:Good idea though - the completed textures should probably be kept in one place for mass-testing and demonstration in a single video. Should we send the TGA textures to you, StoneFrog, so you can test them (& perform minor amendments if required)?

Eh, I'm not really sure. Eventually I'll probably set up some repository site (or a shared Dropbox folder?) so that we can all exchange work, but I don't really think we need people going around modifying each others' work right now. We could probably do some "quality control" passes once in a while though, to make sure everything works and tiles right.

Hold back for now, I'll think of something.

Flintwinch wrote:These modded images look terrific!

Anyone willing to post a process and programs used for doing this please?

I've extracted images using Andypic and modified them using MS Paint but I couldn't get them back into the original texture files. I'm a total noob but I'd like to try to do something along these lines and contribute eventually.

Again, the posted modifications look incredible!

Levethian wrote:I'm only using photoshop CS2 & Googled textures. Processes might vary per texture but generally includes over-laying & transforming new textures with mixed opacity/saturation/brightness/contrast in 'multiply' or 'normal' mode appropriate to the existing texture.

042, 043, 044, 064, 065 'done'.
Working on 066, then I'll need to stop for today.

StoneFrog wrote:(or a shared Dropbox folder?)

That sounds best.
I'm not checking tiling very thoroughly :oops: - I assume the originals tile, and mine are (or should be) practically the same - I check tiling only where differences are evident.

jute wrote:Any chance of seeing these many new textures?

Greendogo wrote:Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that Skydye from the Morrowind forums volunteered to help out with texturing. He says for someone to PM him about it, and I'm not sure who's really in charge, Stonefrog? Levethian? Anyway, if you're familiar with the Morrowind modding forum Skydye is a pretty popular modder, so I would take him up on his offer.

I'm not sure you guys will care or not, but I posted a thread in the Morrowind modding forums asking if any MW modders would be interested in the change of pace offered by this retexture project. If you guys want to go there and explain the project, I'm sure you could do it better justice than me. I simply wanted to see if anyone would be interested and it seems a few are...
Link = http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1032574

Levethian wrote:
jute wrote:Any chance of seeing these many new textures?

:twisted: Nevahh!!

I'll upload some pics soon. They're being done fast because they aren't very different from the previous ones done, and they aren't very intricate.

Greendogo wrote:Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that Skydye from the Morrowind forums volunteered to help out with texturing. He says for someone to PM him about it
Link = http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1032574

Sounds excellent! :D StoneFrog is in charge I would think, given he initiated the whole thing, and I have no knowledge beyond the textures I've been doing.

EDIT: Samples of more textures 'done', in no particular order :)... Some are a bit shoddy - I can see some that should be tweaked, but must get through them!

Greendogo
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby Greendogo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:11 am

Page 7

Ghost Line wrote:I'm making giant (128x128 pixels :p) steps on my side ... If all run as I hope, the regional ground image pack used in Daggerfall (the city) must be finished until the end of the week.

StoneFrog wrote:Greendogo - I'm not very keen on having so many people join this project, especially those who are not genuine fans of the game/already following DaggerXL's mod development. The fact many of them don't understand how the textures are utilized or even played the game would make it much harder to unify development. In the future, maybe. For now, I just want to keep this small - to people who are actively seeking out this thread and wanting to contribute.

I may contact skydye as he is very skilled in the ways of making textures, but otherwise, I'd prefer if you don't go around advertising much on the forum. Don't take it the wrong way, I just want to keep this small and personal. ;)

Greendogo wrote:I understand completely :D

I know there are Daggerfall aficionados out there though, so I'll keep an eye out!

StoneFrog wrote:Well, things are slowing down now as I start cramming the last segments of my World History AP summer assignment. :lol:

A question for you guys - the tavern interior walls, what do you think the walls are made of? Stucco?

Ghost Line wrote:A little picture of my work for tonight :

It's such a pain to fit the texture on all orientation, with all other textures ... I'm going mad ^^'

And part of the others textures :

luciusDXL wrote:That looks pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see how that looks in-game.

Ghost Line wrote:I've made the pics in the right format, but I don't know how to integrate them into the game. Anyway, if you want the 12 textures I've made so far, send me a PM with a mail adress.

luciusDXL wrote:
Ghost Line wrote:I've made the pics in the right format, but I don't know how to integrate them into the game. Anyway, if you want the 12 textures I've made so far, send me a PM with a mail adress.
You won't be able to integrate them until demo 2 is out. I'll hold off trying the new textures until then, I don't want to distract myself by trying all this stuff until the demo is done. :P

Ghost Line wrote:Hehe, I can understand that ^^

Arctus wrote:Water textures in DF that actually look like water? This is madness!

Return to “Texture Project”