My HD UI project.

Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

My HD UI project.

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:14 am

Well, This is my attempt to provide a HD User Interface that I hope it can join and play happily with the rest of his high resolution mates, that eventually all of them will come along after the release of the beta version of DaggerXL, to make Daggerfall fancy and good looking.

Here I'll post my advances on the matter, and many of my questions, related to how It would be adequate do certain things, because not all can be 100% "faithful", I've stumbled upon several "inconsistencies" in the the user interface (artistically speaking), along with some things that I think It would be good to change. All of these matters will be exposed along my way through this project.

Some of my current work:

Consist of nine images that fits together when a text is displayed in game, the more lenght the text is, the bigger the image will be, as you can see below:

I've tried to make it seamless, and I think that with the text over it, It would look nice.

The Talk screen:
thumbnail

The Inventory:
thumbnail

The automap, which I'd like to discuss with all of you about the background texture, because I think it can be changed for something more adecuate to visualise the map that goes over it.
thumbnail

The load screen:
thumbnail

The log (which it is almost the same than the screen to read books):
thumbnail

Those are all examples, the interesting ones, the rest are all small images that compose some details or things like the health bar and that kind of stuff. (As a note, all original images are nearly the twice size of the exposed here).

Hope you like it and that we can discuss about some things (like the "map screen matter" that I've already mentioned), and over all, which font should I use to do the text part.

That's it for now, I apologise for my english, bye.

PD: Here's my previous examples from my first postings on the texture project thread:

thumbnail
thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail
Last edited by Phobos Anomaly on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
emmathepony
Junior-Member

Re: My HD UI project.

Postby emmathepony » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 am

great work and you keep it to the original style^^
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:03 am

These look great! I'm sure it won't be a problem to put them in the game soon (a cursor and font replacement already exists).
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...
jet800
Senior-Member

Postby jet800 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 am

Cool stuff! Keep'em coming!

Btw, may I recommend to change topic name to something more distinguishable like "Phobos Anomaly 's HD UI project" at least. I mean when someone else would creat his own HD UI project and call it also "My HD UI project" there will be some confusion, especially for newcomers.

P.S.: Would be nice to hear from lucius about UI scripting. Personally I'm interested in Morrowind style UI for DF :)
Janus

Postby Janus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Absolutely gorgeous work! This in conjunction with the NPC portraits being produced will make for one hell of a facelift :)
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks you all.

I've been thinking about the fonts, and how good a nice and easy-to-read font can be to make a great atmosphere, may I suggest to use the tipically used fonts in the Elder Scrolls series?

Often are these:

For the logo and the most of Morrowind's text stuff:
http://www.dafont.com/planewalker.font? ... er+Scrolls

Daggerfall and mostly Arena uses this for the logo and texts:

http://www.dafont.com/carolingia.font?t ... er+Scrolls

Also, Oblivion uses it for the most part of the text stuff too.

jet800 wrote:Btw, may I recommend to change topic name to something more distinguishable like "Phobos Anomaly 's HD UI project" at least. I mean when someone else would creat his own HD UI project and call it also "My HD UI project" there will be some confusion, especially for newcomers.

You are right, actually, It's a good name, thanks.

jet800 wrote:P.S.: Would be nice to hear from lucius about UI scripting. Personally I'm interested in Morrowind style UI for DF :)

I think there is a bit of information in the wiki, don't know if it's what you are looking for:

http://xlengine.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... ow_scripts
Last edited by Phobos Anomaly on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jet800
Senior-Member

Re: Phobo Anomaly's HD UI project.

Postby jet800 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Yea, I know about this page :) I'm curious how much of UI would be available for modding, ie could i probably split some DF screens into many & add new ones.
Basically WoW's lua-based UI could be remade completely and that's what looking for :)

PS: you prob missed that "s" in "Phobos" at topic title, not sure if it's intended ;)
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Re: Phobo Anomaly's HD UI project.

Postby luciusDXL » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 am

jet800 wrote:Yea, I know about this page :) I'm curious how much of UI would be available for modding, ie could i probably split some DF screens into many & add new ones.
Basically WoW's lua-based UI could be remade completely and that's what looking for :)

PS: you prob missed that "s" in "Phobos" at topic title, not sure if it's intended ;)

The entire UI will be moddable, allowing you to completely remake it if desired. :)
Phobos Anomaly
Senior-Member

Re: Phobos Anomaly's HD UI project.

Postby Phobos Anomaly » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Well, let me show you an example of the font that I've been talking about:

thumbnail
thumbnail
(I know, I've taken some liberties with sizes and text fit).

jet800 wrote:PS: you prob missed that "s" in "Phobos" at topic title, not sure if it's intended ;)

You're right, silly me...
AlexanderSig

Re: Phobos Anomaly's HD UI project.

Postby AlexanderSig » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Fantastic work!

Here's the font I used for my font replacement mod which I think fits in really well in Daggerfall. It's the same one TESIV uses: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Kingthings-Petrock

I fully support changing the map background, the old one is badly tiled and ugly. I look forward to seeing what you do with it :)

Also, in case you didn't know, rhymer1987 made an animated main menu a year ago. Thought I'd let you know in case you were interested in collaborating with him. https://www.youtube.com/watch v=A7OI1BPQmQM&feature=channel&hd=1

Return to “Mods / Addons”