Daggerfall multiplayer

DovahkiinDemon

Re: Daggerfall multiplayer

Postby DovahkiinDemon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:03 pm

As a slight resurrection of this thread I thought I might add a few thoughts.

I think that both players should be in the same "world." Again I will go back to Diablo II. In multiplayer, you log into the server and are brought to the chat room. On the right side of the screen there are options to join an existing game or to create a game. Each game is its own unique world, and every time you visit one or create a new game, the world is different, and all the bosses and dungeons are filled and relocated. So in Daggerfall, the dungeons will only reset if another game is hosted, or perhaps, if there is a certain time (in-game) until the dungeon resets, like Oblivion or Skyrim.

So players are together in the same game, but can impact it anyway they see fit. However, if they want to sleep the other player(s) must also sleep or "wait." Because in real life, if one person sleeps when another is awake, the sleeping person doesnt shoot into the future while the latter is still there awake. However, the other player could shoot into the future, while the other player is not sleeping. The player who slept (whom we shall call "PS") can impact the world of tomorrow, which in turn, can impact the player. NS can sit there looking at PS's sleeping body, while PS might be in the future killing NS, which may cause NS to die that moment. If NS wishes to join PS, he must sleep in order to catch up to PS's current actions. As you can see, this could cause major conflict and the general idea is very flawed.

For chat, there could be the generic chat-box, where one presses the Enter key to send a message. Voice Chat could be a problem, since alot of players are likely of a different nationality than another person, and may not speak a certain language as someone, and their accent could be hard to understand in itself, this is why I prefer typing, because there are alot of online people I play with who live in foreign countries, and their views of internet chat are probably not far from mine.

For PvP, one could kill another, but not loot their stuff. There may be an option, when creating a game, whether you "allow" PvP or not, and if yes, then whether you allow them to loot your stuff, just kill you whenever they please and to not loot you, or you give them "permission" to kill you, like WoW.

Anywho, those are my thoughts. :ugeek:
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 am

As far as I know Lucius implemented a general multiplayer support for the xl-engine, so hopefully a DaggerXL multiplayer is possible soon. But I think he has to decide on when he wants to get it to run with daggerfall.
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...
DovahkiinDemon

Postby DovahkiinDemon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am

Truthfully I would like a clean, stable, and beautiful release before multiplayer support is added. I can't imagine on how much stuff had been thrown on lucius's shoulders lately.
tynan
Junior-Member

Postby tynan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:46 am

^^^Exactly. Get a fully working, mostly-bug-free, cut-features-put-back-in Daggerfall first :)
luciusDXL
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin
XL Engine Developer / Site Admin

Postby luciusDXL » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Indeed, I don't plan on giving Daggerfall multiplayer much thought (time) until the main releases are done and the networking system has been tested by games that need it (the original versions had it built in). This doesn't mean it won't happen, just that I'm focused on more important things - like the Beta release. :D

That said, feel free to talk about it.
Z-Blaster

Postby Z-Blaster » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Here are some concepts of what DaggerXL multiplayer could look like.
I didn't know where else to post them so here seemed to be the best place. Even if they look bad, they were still fun to make :mrgreen:
Attachments
DXLMO.jpg
DXLMO.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
DXLMB.jpg
DXLMB.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Unknown
Junior-Member

Postby Unknown » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 am

@Z-Blaster

Not a bad idea :)...

Sad thing is when playing COOP/Multiplayer you want to show off your gear and such...
I was thinking of maybe showing the Inventory Character walking around...But there is no animations for that :(...

Hmmmm...
Z-Blaster

Postby Z-Blaster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:15 am

Unknown wrote:Sad thing is when playing COOP/Multiplayer you want to show off your gear and such...
I was thinking of maybe showing the Inventory Character walking around...But there is no animations for that ...

Well on this post, lucius posted a reply about how the inventory character would need to be generated for an in-game "skin"
http://xlengine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=683&start=10
Last edited by Z-Blaster on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenlight
Senior-Member

Postby greenlight » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:49 am

I thought about that aswell. Every animation frame would have areas specific for the single armor pieces which then are "put on the sprite" and overwrite armor below. However, someone would have to redraw the single armor pieces for each frame including the back of the armor pieces.
So to enable a maximum amount of freedom for displaying the character, 3D players would help a lot. I know they would look awkward in an enviroment with all other chraracters being 2D, but redrawing each piece of cloth for every chracter rotation and sprite position would be a huge amount of work.
In Soviet Russia books burn nazis...
Z-Blaster

Postby Z-Blaster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:12 pm

greenlight wrote:I thought about that aswell. Every animation frame would have areas specific for the single armor pieces which then are "put on the sprite" and overwrite armor below. However, someone would have to redraw the single armor pieces for each frame including the back of the armor pieces.
So to enable a maximum amount of freedom for displaying the character, 3D players would help a lot. I know they would look awkward in an enviroment with all other chraracters being 2D, but redrawing each piece of cloth for every chracter rotation and sprite position would be a huge amount of work.

I think if you want to make the player look a little less awkward in the world, you could make a 3D model, take pictures from multiple angles (corresponding to angles on any creature sprite) and use the pictures as sprites like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-OMn6Wqdg

Return to “Feature Requests”